• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why are the rabbits always the first to go?

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Seriously? Why, even if they have been there longest, do they get rejected at the first sign of trouble when cats & dogs get to stay.

I'm so fed up of them being considered second class pets :censored:.

I know what you mean sooz, ive just had a right row with someone i work with as shes getting rid of her gpigs cus she can't afford em, yet shes keeping her kitten. go figure.

ARGH x

Its not as if they are expensive to feed or keep is it!!!! A bag of hay lasts ages with Lola - a bag of pellets is £3.50, greens are free and I save my pennies for the vet bills.

My cats cost me a blooming fortune!!!

because peopel dont research or are not aware of the costs of these pets adn dont understand how much time and what their needs are... so they dont interact with them in the same way ie rabbits for example
rabbits live in small hutches and you chuck in some food every few days.. a very boring pet...... obviously this i completly wrong but people dont see it that way as they dont seem to get the correct information adn i have no idea why sheer ignorance half the time. people need to try and learn more about their pets adn thier needs so they really become part of teh family and then they become irreplacable or with deep saddness and regret. i guess in some cases it is easier to give up a smaller animal whom you have had a shorter length of time than a pet you have had longer. its a very sad fact as currently many people can afford less things and are giving more things up.

What greens do you use? I'm about to get a bunny and to save some cost will help.

plant your own herbs in pots on the windowsill...speak to local veg places as they will often give you the greens slightly turning.. .grass leaves and dandilions can all be picked from the garden for them or grow edible bunny plants xx

People don't realise how much work is involved until they get one :( It probably seems like a good idea in the pet shop and then the bunny gets ill and they don't think its worth the money to see a vet, or winter comes and they don't want to clean a hutch in the rain...

And the general idea of rabbits as pets is still something for the kids and cheap to look after :roll: They are too easy for people to get hold of in the first place :(

i always buy a bag of carrots and celery and kale and cabbage cause i normally make like lots of soups but binx always gets a lot of it cause hes spoilt :lol:

I love my rabbits, i take care of them, i know their personalities, they make me laugh (even when they try to bit my knees to make me move out of the way :evil::D) and i worry when something is wrong...

However it is not the same as the absolute love i felt for my dog... I had to give her to my step cousin and despite her having a wonderful life i still miss her terribly and would do anything to have her back now that i am settled... I still cannot express in words what she meant to me and still means to me... She changed my whole day from the moment i got up to the moment i went to sleep... It is like having a child which is why dogs are held in such high regard...
Dogs can affect your life in an incredible way and to be honest it is more mentally damaging to a dog to be passed from home to home than it is for a rabbit...

Dogs have been by man for thousands of years and the bond they have is historical... rabbits were thought of as food and fur until last century... It might take a while for people to catch up on the rabbit thing...

So yes whilst it is sad that people think ALL animals are disposable taken into account what you are dealing with i can understand why small animals are the ones to go...

If people thought about getting pets and the time involved then this wouldnt happen but there are still some stupid people out there...

However it is not the same as the absolute love i felt for my dog... I had to give her to my step cousin and despite her having a wonderful life i still miss her terribly and would do anything to have her back now that i am settled... I still cannot express in words what she meant to me and still means to me... She changed my whole day from the moment i got up to the moment i went to sleep... It is like having a child which is why dogs are held in such high regard...
Dogs can affect your life in an incredible way and to be honest it is more mentally damaging to a dog to be passed from home to home than it is for a rabbit...
QUOTE]

The 1st paragraph is exactly how I feel about my buns I have had my cats far longer than my buns & my buns now come 1st although I do adore my cats, my rabbits are very special, they are in fact my babies

On what evidence do you base you 2nd paragraph? Dogs/cats can & do get on with most humans & easily adapt to a new environment whereas rabbits get very stressed when moved to a new home & have been known to die of shock/fright.

Someone i talk to at work got rid of her bunnies once the winter come cause it was too cold and dark to go see to them:evil::evil:
People are unbelievable:roll::roll:

Someone i talk to at work got rid of her bunnies once the winter come cause it was too cold and dark to go see to them:evil::evil:
People are unbelievable:roll::roll:

if i kept my bunnies outside i think the winter would put me off being an owner too... i know myself enough to know im too selfish for outside pets, ste wanted the chippies outside in a big colony but i said no as they are family and outside they probably would be forgotten about... what i dont understand is dont people know themselves enough to make a decision before inocent lives are affected :evil:

I agree with bunlover and her post...people don't properly build a relationship with their rabbit, so it means that it is like getting rid of something that has no personality or connection to them. When you jsut have a fluffy animal down the bottom of the garden, in a hutch, that you don't understand (as you've not taken the time to research, learn and to allow the rabbit to develop and become one of the family) then it becomes a burden rather than a loved pet.

People don't realise how much work is involved until they get one :( It probably seems like a good idea in the pet shop and then the bunny gets ill and they don't think its worth the money to see a vet, or winter comes and they don't want to clean a hutch in the rain...

And the general idea of rabbits as pets is still something for the kids and cheap to look after :roll: They are too easy for people to get hold of in the first place :(

I agree, it is a big reason rabbits get rehomed.
In Scotland anyway, there is an increase in rabbits being handed over in the winter.
From me It isn't a species I become attached to like some people have mentioned, but individual animals. I would hope I never have to rehome, but never is a long time and if I did have to rehome it would be animals most capable and likely to get a good home. This would mean Bournville (a horse and the love of my life going) and Bruno and Willow (2 of my favourite dogs) as they would be more likey to cope in a good home. To be honest the rabbits and large farm animals would be last to go.
However, I ain't going to happen soon and we would work ourselves into the ground before it happened.

if i kept my bunnies outside i think the winter would put me off being an owner too... i know myself enough to know im too selfish for outside pets, ste wanted the chippies outside in a big colony but i said no as they are family and outside they probably would be forgotten about... what i dont understand is dont people know themselves enough to make a decision before inocent lives are affected :evil:

Me too. I see to the guinea pigs properly but I only see them once a day to see to them as they're in the shed outside. I wouldn't want rabbits outside because the same thing would happen and that wouldn't be right for them and I really do need them to be with me. Inside there's no worry as I know exactly what's going on all the time I'm in (whatever that may be :roll: :lol: :lol:).

A lot of the time I hear people say rabbits are 'good starter pets for children'!!!! :evil: Can't tell you how many times I have had to restrain myself when I've heard this! :censored: I would never dream of giving up my bunnies - I would rather go without myself so long as they had everything they needed. The difference they have made to my life is something I could never have imagined & now I could never imagine my life without them.

Back