• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

eye problems-advice please-photo added

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
hi all
i hope you don't mind me posting here as i need some advice quick. my bunny Angel has been suffereing with a blocked tear duct and has had a lot of treatment. his eye is much better but to my horror this morning the other one is terrible! this eye has not run at all or looked sore, ever, but today the third eye lid is very red, looks like blood in it and under his top eye lid it is blood red and a little swollen, it looks like it is bruised on the outsite but i think it is the red showing though as he is white. the eye has no discahrge and is open. he is eating and acting his normal self. i had such a scare when i saw it and almost rushed him off to the emergency vet. when i calmed down i decided not to at the moment as it isn't my usual vet and angel seemd very happy in himself. i'll take him in the morning unless his eye gets worse today. We think his other eye problem is because of tooth roots so perhaps this is too. i have seen alot of eye problms i the past but never like this. I did also think that his eye was bulging but the vet has looked at it and thought that is was because the sore eye was retracting and makng it look larger. she also examined it for abscesses and said all seemed fine, the bulging eye is the one that is bad today so i wonder if the bulging was something to do with it. am just baffled as to what it is or is it maybejust a bad case of conjunctivitus?
any advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
I don't know much about eye problems but bulging is a sign of something behind the eye, possibly an abscess or tumour or something. Poor you and poor your bun. When you get her to the vet I hope the vet can do something for her. I have no actual advice though, sorry.

Awwww Lisa, I hope it isn't anything to serious. I am sending loads of vibes for Angel and a hug for you.
xx

hi all
i hope you don't mind me posting here as i need some advice quick. my bunny Angel has been suffereing with a blocked tear duct and has had a lot of treatment. his eye is much better but to my horror this morning the other one is terrible! this eye has not run at all or looked sore, ever, but today the third eye lid is very red, looks like blood in it and under his top eye lid it is blood red and a little swollen, it looks like it is bruised on the outsite but i think it is the red showing though as he is white. the eye has no discahrge and is open. he is eating and acting his normal self. i had such a scare when i saw it and almost rushed him off to the emergency vet. when i calmed down i decided not to at the moment as it isn't my usual vet and angel seemd very happy in himself. i'll take him in the morning unless his eye gets worse today. We think his other eye problem is because of tooth roots so perhaps this is too. i have seen alot of eye problms i the past but never like this. I did also think that his eye was bulging but the vet has looked at it and thought that is was because the sore eye was retracting and makng it look larger. she also examined it for abscesses and said all seemed fine, the bulging eye is the one that is bad today so i wonder if the bulging was something to do with it. am just baffled as to what it is or is it maybejust a bad case of conjunctivitus?
any advice would be much appreciated!

Could you post a piccie as it may help us to offer more advice ?

heres a photo
angelspoorlyeye.jpg

the red swollen part continues under the top eyelid. the eye itself looks normal. he's just been running around the garden and doesn't seem bothered by it at all!!
just been reading my FHB bok and it says that glands from the third eyelid can swell and prolapse, so i am wondering if that might be it as the third eye lid is very red and swollen.

Last edited:
Could he have scratched it with a hind toe-nail ?
There looks to be a white dot on the red and inflammed area :?

Has he had a skull Xray to see whats going on with his tooth roots ?

the whit dot has appeared since this morning, not sure if it's a pit of discharge although nothing is coming out of his eye and you can see it is clean around it. He only strted this year with molar spurs and has had them filed twice. The vet said they didn't look too bad. His other eye constantly runs and we flushed his ducts twice last wek and they it is blocked so we persume his teeth. i am hesitant to have an x-ray at the moment as he had a bad reaction to anisthetic last time his molars were done. i have had a rabbit with a retrobular abscess before but this looks different.

the vet thinks it is most likely from a bang as there is bruising on the lid and there is mostly inflamation rather than infection. he has some meds so hopefully it will sort itself out!

Back