• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Rabbit Owner Cold Weather Advice Please.

Jess1711

New Kit
Hi my name is Helen I'm new to all this and would really love some advice,
I've had my two rabbits Lily and Daisy for the past six months now, they're outdoor bunnies and have been since we got them. This will be my first winter as a rabbit owner, I'm not sure what to do when it starts getting really cold. They have a large two storey hutch and I attach a run to it throughout the day. At night they're covered over with a Scratch & Newton hutch cover, the hutch is against the wall of the house so they would get some heat from that. I have also put a load of old woollen blankets underneath the cover to give some extra protection, they obviously also have each other to snuggle up to. Their sleeping compartment is crammed with hay. Do you think that this is enough? I'm toying with the idea of getting another smaller hutch to put in the garage so I could put them in there at night when it gets really cold. what do you all think? Any advice would be really appreciated

I think you are doing ok at the moment. It's sounding like they are toasty bunnies. :lol: Also, they have their winter coats too. I wouldn't recommend putting them into a small hutch in the garage (especially if it is a used garage, because of the fumes).

Oh OK that's good it's not a used garage by the way, well not used by a car anyway lol it's full of junk!! ****** I thought I might have had a good reason to get my hubby out there and clear it out lol

i wouldnt put them into a smaller hutch at night the more space they have the better lots of hay for insulation i warm a towel up on the radiator adn put it in for mine..the warmth doesnt last long but they seem to like it to snuggle on. some people have snuggle safes which you heat in microwave for around 5/6 mins then ut cover on it and it goes in hutch completly safe for them and the heat lasts 6-8hours obviously gradually reducing.

What you are doing now sounds fine. As mentioned before they will have their winter coats and with plenty of hay they will be warm as toast. IMO rabbits cope better with the cold than being too hot.

What you're doing sounds fine! But if you're worried I know some people put a snuggle safe in with them at night! x

Back