• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fireworks = Upset Bunnies :o(

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
Fireworks are going off around here tonight. Im sitting in the bedroom and lottie and Georges hutch is outside the patio door in the bedroom, i can hear them thumping :( :( Theyre all shut up for the night as i did it early because of the cold... have wooden shutters on the front of their cage and a taupaulin over. Hope they will be ok :cry: :cry: I cant bring all the buns it, i dont have enough room. Argh!

I hate fireworks, always have done since I was little because they always upset my pets! Luckily my bunny is indoors, but we have to keep the cats in when there are fireworks going off, but you can't always predict when some over excited idiot is going to set one off!

I hope your buns calm down soon hun and I hope the fireworks stop! (WILLING THEM TO STOP) xx

I got so annoyed with the fireworks last night, cos someone 4 doors up was setting them off, and I had to take Ollie outside to go toilet, but I put him on the lead. They started going off whilst I was out there, and he was terrified. :(:cry: Stupid idiots!!! If my parents hadn't stopped me, I'd had gone up there and tell them whats what!!!

Haven't heard any round here yet.

My one cat is terrified of them, sits there looking at the flashes with eyes as big as saucers :cry:

Im lucky in that none of my animals are scard by them. My cats love to sit at the window & watch them :lol: Ive had a group of idiotic teenagers in the service rd beside my house letting off rockets every night, ring the police & they get here an hour or more later & of course kids have gone by then. Buns dont seem tol be bothered by them but maybe its because theyre all indoors with us. As Ive said before I believe fireworks should be banned except for public displays & it should be ilegal to set them off on any night ecxcept bonfire night or the closest Sat night. How can we possibly protect our pets when we have no idea when some idiot is going to let one off:evil:

I didnt used to have space or mine either, soooo would put them in their carry cases for the night...not ideal but better than bunnies who are scared half to death :shock:

We've had fireworks going off most evenings for about an hour a night for the last couple of weeks! I really don't get the fascination with something that lasts all of 2 seconds, is not that impressive and causes even more pollution! :?

weve had no fireworks go off here yet :D Bunnies werent to bad last year but I dont no how Fletcher or Ella will react to them - so think theyll be indoors for actual bonfire night - I think its mainly because the area where I live is really quiet and I live in a cul-de-sac where most of the familys have children who have grown up.
Luckily I have a spare indoor cage for Ella and Fletcher to snuggle in 2 :D
Totally agree with the fireworks only being allowd on public holidays and limited to public displays - my dog Bouncer was terrified of them as he got older and we had to shut all the curtains and turn the TV right up, and on new year if we went to family, he came with us 2 :love:

I got so annoyed with the fireworks last night, cos someone 4 doors up was setting them off, and I had to take Ollie outside to go toilet, but I put him on the lead. They started going off whilst I was out there, and he was terrified. :(:cry: Stupid idiots!!! If my parents hadn't stopped me, I'd had gone up there and tell them whats what!!!

i dont think you can blame someone for having fireworks we have done at new years and next door have dogs. we did tell them we were planning adn what time so they could make arrangements for the doggys so they werent so scared but im afraid as a pet owner its something people must deal with. i never get loud ones alwasy go for pretty and sparkly as i prefer them i dont like the loud screamers or banging ones. this year we are likely going to a display instead.

But the really loud ones can be heard miles away. People aren't going to warn everyone within miles of them what they plan to do :?. I didn't get warned that neighbours 4 doors up were going to let them off.

Haven't heard any round here yet.

My one cat is terrified of them, sits there looking at the flashes with eyes as big as saucers :cry:

Smirnoff hates them, she hides and shakes and meows so much she looses her voice :cry: Someone has to be here with her every night from now until mid november

They started last weekend over the road in someone's garden here, I wish people would just use them for the few days surrounding bonfire night so people know what days to prepare for pets that get frightened :roll: Its a bit much when it goes on for over a month!

my moms dog was so scared the vet prescribed sedatives for her... she was never bothered up until one night we was walking her and some little skank let a firework go right across the street and it ended up heading in our direction.. she was never the same after that :cry: and im pretty anti child this time of year myself :evil::evil:

thankfully Alvin and Ralph are not bothered at all, and if i close us all in the middle room we cant hear even the loud ones so hopefully my nervous little gal wont get upset neither :)

I wonder if you can get sedatives for cats like you can for dogs? I will ask the vet next week because that would really help Smirnoff I think, compared to Hunter who just seems afraid and hides she gets herself into such a state :(

I wonder if you can get sedatives for cats like you can for dogs? I will ask the vet next week because that would really help Smirnoff I think, compared to Hunter who just seems afraid and hides she gets herself into such a state :(

its worth asking hun, he only intended them for actual bonfire night when it would be bad because you have to give them a few hours before the dog would hear fireworks

its worth asking hun, he only intended them for actual bonfire night when it would be bad because you have to give them a few hours before the dog would hear fireworks

I find the weeks before and after bonfire night worse than the actual night :( This is when kids are letting them off in the street or neighbours are having little displays in their own gardens. The big displays on the actual night are the other side of the island and usually have free entry or a pound donation for charity so everyone goes! I remember staying in with her one year and we didnt even hear anything because everyone was at the displays :shock:

I will definitely ask, but its probably not going to do much good if I don't know when they will be let off and they need to be taken a few hours before :( People don't come and tell you when they are doing it and I can't really sedate her every night just incase

Will ask the vet if there is anything else I can do aswell :D The buns don't care at all!

My sick old rat Harry was very stressed last weekend with the noise, and I am having to think about letting him go possibly a bit sooner than I thought because I don't think he will get through weeks of this :cry: My vet mentioned it too and said it wouldn't be fair to let him go through more stress on top of his illness, im absolutely heartbroken after a bit of hope that he was remaining comfortable with me before I heard the bangs last week

You can get the feliway plug in's which ease anxiety and stress in cats. Its a pheromone plug in. They do really help to keep them calm and it's a natural pheromone. x

A lot of places on the internet are saying that Serene UM rabbit drops help soothe anxiety on fireworks night for bun! I've never used them so don't no, but maybe you could look in to that if your rabbits get really stressed? x

Back