• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My first rabbit on monday

kerry-123

Mama Doe
I'm so over the moon that I will be getting a lovely lionhead rabbit (boy) on monday.
I've wanted one since I was so young but mum would never let me I've finally broken her lol we also have two guinea pigs (but I would not house them together so don't worry) I'm so excited :)
But as this is my first rabbit I was wondering about the basics you know what to expect off a male rabbit, general health care. I mean I'm sure the difference is not extreme from my guinea pigs but I'm sure that there are ofc big differences health wise. So....fill me in :)

Awwww I got my first Lionhead in April this year (I am 39):love: I bet you are so excited.

Will you post some pics please!

I feed Lola Excel Dwarf and she is doing really well on it. I find she does better on mainly hay, topped up with pellets and a few greens. I would "bunny proof" every bit of wire in your house.

Welcome to the forum - hopefully some more experienced peeps will be along soon as I am a bit of a novice.

Andrea x x

Is your rabbit going to be an indoor or an outdoor rabbit? I feed my girls Science Selective and they love it. I only give them a small amount, like 10g a day each. I put hay down on the floor of their hutch, as they are rexes and i need to protect their feet. As I understand, guinea-pigs need vitC, well, rabbits don't. :lol: :oops:

Thanks! It's np all the advice I can get is great. Just wondering how big do lionheads get?? I think they're smaller than dutch ones yes??

Yeah whats people don't get though is all these "vitamin drops" for guinea pigs are a waste of money you just need to balance out enough fruit and veg :) But he will be an indoor rabbit they are all living in my room lol!! The cage I'm getting is big enough for the little guy as he is still quite small but if he gets much bigger in adulthood it won't be long until I swap for a bigger cage :)

Last edited:
They are usually bigger than dutches, but not by much at all. Lionheads are classed as small-medium bunnies.

I'd be carefully about them all living in the same area, as guinea-pigs can transfer diseases to rabbits (I think!! :oops:)

Can someone let me know how you weigh ten grams of pellets out? Do you have special scales??

Also I know you can potty train rabbits? Any tips on that? My guinea pigs poop all over me sometimes that I'm so used to it now but would be nice to sometimes not be used as a toilet :) lol

You can litter train rabbits. Place a litter tray where the rabbit goes toilet. Put hay into the tray to encourage them to go there. You can put litter underneath to stop bad smells.

You can litter train rabbits. Place a litter tray where the rabbit goes toilet. Put hay into the tray to encourage them to go there. You can put litter underneath to stop bad smells.

Thank you! Didn't realise it was that easy I thought it was like training dogs lol

Back