• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

children and house rabbit and EC

sue 1974

Alpha Buck
HI everyone:wave: been a long time since i have been on here, had loads of things going on.

Anyway we are thinking of getting a house rabbit and was wandering if there were any risks regarding children and EC. I have a 3 and 9 year old. I'm more concerened about the 3 year old as her toys will be around and she will have more contact with the bun than the 9 year old.

Is there any risk or am i being stupid.

Thanks

The only risks tend to be in immuno supressed people. If the rabbit is kept clean and the area is kept clean there should be no problem for normal people. My brother is immuno suppressed (has a supressed immune system) and he has no problems with buns and we have 17 here at the mo.

If you worry about the toys and the bun maybe keep them separate (i.e. the rabbit in a pen) until yopu are sure of toilet training and then gradually inscrease the space.

ETA, me and luvabun posted at the same time. I guess I heard from a different source than from that one about zoonotic illnesses. A not less reliable source, just a different one :)

HI everyone:wave: been a long time since i have been on here, had loads of things going on.

Anyway we are thinking of getting a house rabbit and was wandering if there were any risks regarding children and EC. I have a 3 and 9 year old. I'm more concerened about the 3 year old as her toys will be around and she will have more contact with the bun than the 9 year old.

Is there any risk or am i being stupid.

Thanks

The risk of zoonosis is only applicable to immunosupressed people eg people who are HIV+ are on Chemotherapy or longterm corticosteroids.

EC is transmitted via the effected Rabbit's wee. With usual careful hygeine I dont see why a House Rabbit would put a child at risk with regard to EC

Extract from the RWA Site :

Is there any risk to human health?

Only if you are severely immunocompromised. For example, there are reports of people with AIDS suffering from E. cuniculi infection. People with normal immune systems don't need to worry. If you have a medical condition that makes you severely immunocompromised, it might be worth having your bunny blood tested and having him treated if he tests positive. Consider asking your immunologist to talk to your vet.

:)

Last edited:
Is the three year old going to want to "play" with the bunny a lot. My house rabbits would not enjoy a young child,

thanks for all your replies, i have read the articals that have been linked:D

My 3 year old would only be with the bun under supervision. I already have buns in the garden and foster for the rspca. My 3 year old loves the buns but never picks them up only stokes them if they don'e mind.

The bun i am interested in is on our foster scheme. HE is blind in one eye and also deaf, so i relise he wil need more help than most.

Back