• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone used Marshall's Pet Peter Rabbit LAX for hair blockages?

Hi all,

my bunny has been getting ill 3 times this week with discomfort and resisting eating and drinking due to, we think, hair in his gut. He's been passing stringy poos, after we give him Metacam, Fibreplex and syringing him with fresh pineapple juice and water.

Have found this stuff on the web called 'Marshall's Pet Peter Rabbit LAX' for aiding with hair blockages - it's only sold in the US though, but have ordered some. Has anyone heard of it/used it?

I believe it's a petroleum based laxitive, but I know there is split advice on whether the use of this is good or not - what do you think?

Much appreciated x

To be honest, I don't know the product but I wouldn't touch anything 'Matshall's because they don't have a good rep over there. There are lots of better ways to prevent them getting a blockage (such as grooming, good fibre diet, plenty of exercise), or help them through a blockage (lots of hydration primarily, exercise, etc). Has your vet felt/scanned him him to make sure it is fur and not say something like a tumour or something?

I know that petroleum based laxatives work well on cats, but to be honest I'm not sure about buns and it's not a name I would trust!

I'd try asking your vets for further advice and see what they can come up with?

Thanks, vet has checked teeth and they're totally fine, she did a manual tummy exam on Wednesday and it felt normal - no doughy feeling or lumps, she could feel a normal amount and shape of poos inside him.

Do you know why Marshall's has a bad reputation?

Thanks again...

Petroleum based laxatives are generally no good for Rabbits. This is because the oily base will coat any gut contents and stop them absorbing water making things worse.

Hairballs are a secondary symptom of gut problems, not the primary cause. A reduced GI function will lead to the accumulation of ingested fur that a gut that was functioning well could probably cope with. So you need to try to find out why your Buns guts are not working efficiently.
What do you feed her?
Does she get lots of exercise every day?
Is she a good hay eater ?

In the meantime try to reduce the amount of fur she ingests by grooming her twice a day. Pay particular attention to the area at the base of her tail where large felts of fur often form. Also try to increase her water intake. Rabbits tend to drink more if offered their water in a bowl rather than a sipper bottle.

What makes you think there is a blockage then?

Marshall's have lots of breeding mills around in the US, puppy mills, kitten and rabbit kittne mills too. They spay and neuter far too early and the buns seem to have a lot of problems when they get older.

thanks for that info on Marshall's, wasn't aware :(

He drinks from a bowl and does eat tons of hay - except when he's unwell, don't think it's a blockage as such, as he will poo after getting meds and is pooing fine in between bouts, just been passing stringy poos, but doesn't pass poos when acting unwell.

We give the meds and an hour or so later he will be eating and pooing and drinking again okay - it just seems to be something that is coming and going.

We can tell immediately when something's up - he's a house bunny so we see him all the time - instead of tucking into his hay, he'll be sitting with his eyes half shut, crunch teeth, squirm around and stretch out funny like he's uncomfortable, and doesn't drink or poo.

It sounds like a gut metabolism problem to me, but this is normally caused by something putting them off their food in the first place and then they need their metabolism kick started again! Oh Bunnies digestive systems can be so troublesome!

I'm not certain that this really is a hairball problem?! :?

Have you tried giving him a probiotic in his water, some come with added fibre. Make sure he's getting a selection of veg in the evening (but don't give him to much of any new ones too quickly....start him off with a 50p sized bit and increase over a week). Try giving him a small piece of fresh pineapple every day as well. The pineapple helps to break down the mucus that can form around food and lets the stomach acid break it down. If you see stringy poos it's a sign that his gut's aren't breaking down the hair properly perhaps because he's moulting so you'll need fresh pineapple/pinapple & papaya tablets to help things along

Also, as part of your 'prevention' measures, do have a look at his diet. My bunny Muppet had this twice earlier on this year within four months and, as you say, recovered very quickly once he'd had the pain killer/gut stimulant.

I thought about probiotics etc etc but my vet's only advice - which I thought was a bit unhelpful but he does err on the side of common sense I think ;) - was to ensure Muppet ate PLENTY of hay. I would have said he had a good diet - some pellets, some veg, lots of hay and water. I've halved the amount of pellets he has (he now gets 10g per day rather than 20g; he's only a little bun) and, fingers crossed, he's been fine ever since. I think his diet wasnt "wrong" but perhaps not the right balance for him.

I also give him a bromelain tablet every other day when he's moulting.

Back