• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Insurance

Lu_x

Mama Doe
After going to the vets today for Josie's first Myxy jab ever, we have come back with a little bunny starter pack, with loads of good things in it! Including a cuddly bunny toy... but thats another story! Anyway, we also got 6 weeks free insurance, which is great but what does everyone think about the pros and cons of keeping this up when the 6 weeks has finished? Is it worth having? Thanks x

Is it with Pet Plan?

I am definately keeping it up it has been recommended by so many people.

Yes, it is with Pet Plan. I'm also thinking it may be a good idea for Josie as the vet has just said her teeth are wearing evenly but growing wonky! So we have to keep an eye on them! x

I think if they cover for dentals they have to have a regular 12 month dental check up, but I may be wrong.

Her dental check up is included in her 6 monthly health check, so that should be ok shouldn't it? x

Most insurance doesn't cover dental work in buns, read the smallprint very, very carefully! If your vet has already noticed that the teeth are a bit wonky, chances are they won't cover anything to do with teeth anyway, as it may be classed as a pre-existing condition.

I guess overall you've just got to weight up the pros and cons of the monthly cost, the cost of the excess, what is and is not covered, against whether you would be able to afford treatment if something unexpectedly happened. Some people put the insurance amount aside into a separate bank account every month to build up some savings - although of course if you put a tenner in this month and have a £300 bill next month, that doesn't help a lot. It's really all about what you feel would work best for you.

i think insurance is great if your bun has no pre exisiting conditions.. i think teeth are covered if the buns have regular checks, but i think its the routine stuff that wont be covered like jabs and teeth trimming

it says on my policy they wont cover dental treatment they havent been checked by a vet in the last 12 months before the claim... its a bit confusing tbh...

i think what they are saying is... if your vet checks the teeth and say they need trimming it needs to be done at your own cost.. if this is ignored and they then need treatment it will not be covered..

if you get the teeth trimmed and within 12 months something still goes wrong they will pay the claim :D:D

if they are ok when checked and they treamtent is required that is also covered :?

Although her two bottom front teeth are wonky, the vet said it's not a problem, both are wearing at the same and correct rate, so she has no problem there! It's just something he would keep an eye on as she gets older!

I'll sit and read my cover details now! Thanks xx

According to a information slip that my vets put in to my 'new bunny' bag, the insurance is worth considering because it covers Dental work up to £80, Broken limps uo to £300 and gut stasis treatment up to £100. But it's not the clearest leaflet! :?

:wave: Hi Lu!

All my buns have insurance with Pet Plan and I don't know what we'd have done if they didn't!!! For some reason, mine seem to be prone to gut stasis and this can cost an absolute fortune - particularly if, like mine!, they suffer at the weekend. My excess is £50 and only one of my buns has any exclusions. They do cover dental work (at least, they always have for mine) and I would highly recommend it. You will just need to check about the teeth and whether they would be classed as a pre existing condition. As she hasn't had any work on them yet though, I wouldn't see that they should. Hope this helps!!

Beth x

Just looking back at your post Lu, it mentions a limit on treatment. I'm not sure I have any limit on my policy. Maybe you should have a look at the website? By the way, I pay approx £10 per month per bun.

Thanks Beth that was really informative, you're a star! :D

The vet didn't put her 'wonky' teeth on her record, so I can only assume it's not classed as a pre-existing problem and has you say she's had no treatment on them!

Thanks again x

According to a information slip that my vets put in to my 'new bunny' bag, the insurance is worth considering because it covers Dental work up to £80, Broken limps uo to £300 and gut stasis treatment up to £100. But it's not the clearest leaflet! :?

gut stasis cost us £350 quid and i got it all back apart from the £50 excess :D:D:D

I'm with petplan too...having had dogs and a pony go horribly wrong I thought I'd be mad not to insure Blue.
I also have a separate 'bunny account' which I put about 20 a month into 'just in case'.
People have laughed at me on here (in a nice way :D) before for it but I couldn't stand the thought of something going wrong and not having the pennys available to pay for it.
Insurance is definitely the way to go. Although I could only find petplan to insure bunnies. I think its cause they're classed as an 'exotic' :?
You're vets are great giving you a new bunny pack!

Mine are all with petplan, cats are too.
I've never used it but its only £7 per month so i think it's well worth it!

I think, from memory, you get £4k vet treatment per year and £740 complimenary treatment.

:D

Last edited:
I'm with petplan too...having had dogs and a pony go horribly wrong I thought I'd be mad not to insure Blue.
I also have a separate 'bunny account' which I put about 20 a month into 'just in case'.
People have laughed at me on here (in a nice way :D) before for it but I couldn't stand the thought of something going wrong and not having the pennys available to pay for it.
Insurance is definitely the way to go. Although I could only find petplan to insure bunnies. I think its cause they're classed as an 'exotic' :?
You're vets are great giving you a new bunny pack!

i try to keep £10 out of stes wages for the routine stuff.. he doesnt know :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I've had a read of the fine print (without my glasses, I must confess!) But it says they will cover the cost of any treatment illness or injury related, during my cover for the insured rabbit, during the same period of cover and in the event of veterinary treatment being needed I will be expected to pay £40.

What they will NOT pay for-

The cost of trimming rabbits teeth and the cost of dental treatment on my rabbit unless my rabbits had its teeth checked by a vet no longer than 12 months before the onset of the claim. If any treatment was suggested at the point of a vet check, it should have been carried out.

So I think I'm a little clearer on the dental front. I will have to ask my vet to clarify the gut stasis details, as their hand out is vague!

But the 'new bunny' pack is fantastic, for any first time owners it would be very useful and reassuring! It's got a fantastic list of poisonous and non poisonous plants in it too! :D

im looking at the insurance small print online as i type and it says the rabbit must be vaccinated againest cat and dogs illnesses....???????????? I didnt know you could

I think (from looking at mine) it's talking generally about dog and cat and rabbit plans, so mentions dog and cat vaccines but for dogs and cats, it talks about rabbits vacs too. Think they just have one general document they attach to all pet plans.

I have had Petplan for a number of years for my buns now. My Benji had dental problems and needed several dental operations in later life. As I had always had him insured and vaccinated and checked twice a year Petplan paid for his dental operations, they paid for all medications, fluids, but they wouldn't pay the actual cost of trimming or burring teeth which was only usually about £25 but the whole operation would cost over a £100 so you could claim most of it back apart from the excess, and if you had several operations in one year you only pay 1 lot of excess.

It's slightly different with my current rabbit Smudge who had an existing dental condition and Petplan have put exclusions on his policy so I can't claim for any condition that is in his head basically! but I have decided to still insure him in case anything else major goes wrong like stasis, broken limbs etc.

Back