• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Josie has wonky teeth!

Lu_x

Mama Doe
My OH has just got back from the vets (Josie was due her first Myxy jab), unfortunately I couldn't go as I have flu :( but the vet has given her a general health check and has said her bottom front teeth are growing wonky (I've had a look and it's really obvious), the vet was not too worried as they are wearing evenly, but I'm now really worried that this means she'll have problems in the future!? She's only 11 weeks old!

Other than the wonky teeth she's in tip top condition!

Lu x

If they are wearing against each other at them moment hopefully she will be ok. If they do cause a problem in the future they can easily be removed and she will still have a great quality of life. She will just need her veg cutting up. Try not to worry too much :)

Hi, make sure she eats plenty of hay as this will help to keep the teeth down at the back.

If it is front teeth can you give her something to knaw on e.g. apple tree branch or willow stick.

As Hugo's there says, they can live happily if there are ongoing problems.

If it is front teeth can you give her something to knaw on e.g. apple tree branch or willow stick.

It is the front teeth. It's not causing her any problems with her eating and about 80% of her diet is Excel Forage hay at the moment any way! They are wearing evenly at the moment and I know it's just something that needs watching but I've never had a bunny with teeth that have grown wonky, it's really obvious when you look at it! :(

She's other wise healthy and a good weight, so I guess I can't complain. I also now have 6 weeks free bunny insurance! :D

You will need to keep a close eye on those front chompers! If they're wonky now at 11 weeks then there is definatley time for attempting jaw re-alignment although when you say wonky, what do you mean? Are the top teeth slightly overlapping the bottom or vice versa, or are they meeting at an angle?
By the way, don't waste your money on that horrible bagged Excel hay, get some boxes of proper fresh timothy hay from somewhere like Willow Warren http://www.willowwarren.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=trhlargebox
Just a heads up, once your vet has identified a problem with a buns teeth you won't be able to get your bun insured for any teeth related problems (and as you're probably aware, there are lots of them).

You need to watch them carefully as maloclusion of the incisors can lead to secondary maloclusion of the molars (though it occurs more commonly the other way round).

This is one of the reasons we had Mack's incisors pulled last week.

Ah bless! Keep an eye on her and maybe buy willow products and let her munch on lots of hay. My baby bun has a problem with her teeth she has an underbite ( or overbite!) her upper teeth grow behind her lower teeth and even thoughI bought willow/apple sticks and she munches all day out and about her teeth have to be cut down every 8 weeks.Your buns teeth you say are wonky and the vet is not concerned - I would just keep an eye on her and keep checking her chops! I read in that rabbits like to munch on an apple tree branch - that would be good for her to have a nibble! Unfortunately, my baby buns teeth wont wear down as her jaw is not aligned! bless her! Hope this helps.

Ah bless! Keep an eye on her and maybe buy willow products and let her munch on lots of hay. My baby bun has a problem with her teeth she has an underbite ( or overbite!) her upper teeth grow behind her lower teeth .

That's an underbite.

My vet said she had seen four baby rabbits in the last few weeks, three which had an overbite and one an underbite. Looks like they all came from the same litter as they were a similar age & all lops :(

That's an underbite.

My vet said she had seen four baby rabbits in the last few weeks, three which had an overbite and one an underbite. Looks like they all came from the same litter as they were a similar age & all lops :(

Thank you I always get confused. Yes my baby bun is a lop! apparently lops are prone to teeth problems - or so my vet tells me.

Thank you I always get confused. Yes my baby bun is a lop! apparently lops are prone to teeth problems - or so my vet tells me.

Sadly true....only one of my lops has good teeth and thats because she is a cross and has an elongated skull rather than a squished up 'lop' one. Sadly for the ears to lop the skulls have to deform which mis-aligns the teeth in the vast majority :(

I know, but I have insure thankfully and my vet said she will word it in such a way that it will be paid. But I would still pay to be honest, I know you have made the decision that is best for your bunny - I will make the decision to have my buns teeth clipped. It's a case of what's best for the individual bun really isn't it and a given set of circumstances. I don't think it's right or wrong either way.

Sadly true....only one of my lops has good teeth and thats because she is a cross and has an elongated skull rather than a squished up 'lop' one. Sadly for the ears to lop the skulls have to deform which mis-aligns the teeth in the vast majority :(

I agree 'lops are cute' so like dogs they are breed according to their asthetic appeal - not what is best! x x

Back