• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you do to look after a rabbit after their partner has died?

nannybonk

Warren Scout
:cry: Question is in the title. Not sure how to look after Flopsy best since Dopey has died today. She is eating and drinking fine, we have bought her inside. Is there anything we can do to help her?

Just give her lots of attention, poor bun :? Keep her warm, make sure she is eating and pooing properly. Anything amiss and take her to the vet.

Just give her lots of attention, poor bun :? Keep her warm, make sure she is eating and pooing properly. Anything amiss and take her to the vet.

I agree with this and when you have grieved for Dopey maybe get Flopsey a new friend

Just give her lots of attention, Miffy wasnt herself after Claude died so i left it two weeks and got her a new friend

I agree, we had princess pts a week today. I wasn't sure how Charlie would react, and although it is plain to see that he misses her, he is coping well. We bring him in on an evening, for company, lots of pets and strokes.

I am going to see a potential suitor tomorrow (thanks for driving Beth), as I think he much prefers company, and I will feel much better than leaving him by himself when I go to work.

it depends on the bunny some need longer to grieve than others... dora stopped eating and lots a huge amount of weight within a week so we got her a new freind immeditaly...others seem to be fine on their own and dont want to be rushed into a new realtionship i would say monitor the remaining bun and keep warm adn loved when you and buny feel ready let her choose a new partner from a rescue via speed dates xx

Sorry for your loss. Has she seen his body, it helps them understand that they are gone and they can grieve for them :cry:

Thanks for your replies.

She had seen the body before we found him. I am not sure will want another partner, it took her ages to bond with Dopey and she absolutely hates Jade (although she is another girl, so that may be the reason).

She is inside now, I am taking her to the vet later today anyway to get her myxi booster. I am going to ask about her weight too because she was already quite thin and can't afford to lose any more whilst grieving, I don't think.

Thanks for your replies.

She had seen the body before we found him. I am not sure will want another partner, it took her ages to bond with Dopey and she absolutely hates Jade (although she is another girl, so that may be the reason).

She is inside now, I am taking her to the vet later today anyway to get her myxi booster. I am going to ask about her weight too because she was already quite thin and can't afford to lose any more whilst grieving, I don't think.

if she does get a new parnter i would ensure that they meet on neutral territory nd are bonded by a professional in netural territpry this should minimise rejection if she is greiveing she will likley take a new partner on more easily as she is missing the company. x

After loosing Barney a couple of weeks ago I could not bear to see his girlfriend Poppy looking so down in the dumps so got her a new husbun and even though she is a tempermental little thing she took to him straight away.

I kept them seperated by a high pen and they snuggled up next to each other by the bars, one morning I came down to see them snuggled up together in her dog bed as he had jumper over the divide and they are now all loved up.

Im sorry for your loss its awful to see the remaining bunny looking so sad

the most important thing is to let Flopsy smell her partner's body for about 30 minutes or so, so that she knows he passed away. Otherwise, she can get emotional and wonder what happened to him.

Then you have to get her a new partner.

Rabbit can get emotional stress from losing a companion.
So look around in one of the rescue centers in your area, and get her a new bunny companion.

here's a list of rescue center in UK

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

or go to the Rabbit In NEED section and see who's available

Or post in the rabbit in need section, many members w/ rescue centers will response to you

Back