• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies in Winter

Rabbit1986

Alpha Buck
This may be a daft question but with winter coming do buns tend to 'bulk up' to protect them from the cold? 2 of mine live outdoors and all through summer i had 2 very gorgeous slender bunnies and now its getting colder they seem to be getting a bit chubbier, even though I haven't really changed what I'm feeding them, and they also seem so much hungrier, their hay consumption has gone up and the seem to be constantly starving. So do buns store fat to keep them warm through winter?

i asked this question a while ago and don't think many people new, i thought my ted was looking fat there, but i think it's really just their fur is thicker to keep them better insulated.

This may be a daft question but with winter coming do buns tend to 'bulk up' to protect them from the cold? 2 of mine live outdoors and all through summer i had 2 very gorgeous slender bunnies and now its getting colder they seem to be getting a bit chubbier, even though I haven't really changed what I'm feeding them, and they also seem so much hungrier, their hay consumption has gone up and the seem to be constantly starving. So do buns store fat to keep them warm through winter?

Not all domestic rabbits do but those that retain some closer genetic links to wild rabbits certainly seem to. My wild bunny has started gorging herself lately.

I'm not sure about storing fat but most animals(including people) need more calories to keep warm in colder weather. If your rabbits have plenty of hay to munch and sleep in, they should be ok.

Back