• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello all!

simonsmybunny

Warren Scout
Hi im new on here....got my indoor rabbit Simon (hence my name) last week. I have Come on here to seek further advice and to share the wonders of having a bunny.
First advice needed is that i have a very shy rabbitt, i rescued him from an old lady she had been keeping him in a cage smaller than my hamster, now although i own a large hamster cage when i went to visit him, it broke my heart and so i had to take him home.
He is use to human contact, he is 10months old and she has never picked him up but stroked him.
My concern is i spent a forture on bunny proffing my flat and now he is so shy and wont come out. Ive gone by all the books read...tried luring out wtih veg (not worked) given him his own time....he will happily let me stroke him but hasnt trigged he can leave his cage.
Any ideas....

Hello:wave:
I'm reasonably new to this site and also new to the house bunny thing....I dont have any answers as me and my rabbit currently have a tempestuous relationship but one thing I have found out is that there are LOADS of helpful peolple here who are really willing to help and offer advice.
My Rabbit doesnt come out of his cage by himself but I am currently spending loads of time sat on the floor next to his cage and stroking him (when he lets me!) and next step (which I am about to do in 5 mins) is sit on the floor with some treats in my hand and on my lap to see if he will be brave!!
Apparently corriander and parsley are good treats...I dont have them in yet so I am gonna try sultanas!
Hope things go well x

im unsure whether he likes my stroking him or not....:?
If i go over to him i let him have a sniff then i stroke him and he sits still but gets himself lower...does this mean he is scared or likes it?
He is good if i pick him up as well, but it hard to tell if he likes cuddles or not. I put him on my lap he wanders rounf for a min then hops back in LOL
I do love him so much though and want him to be happy :)

again I am no expert but when I stroke Zeb he does seem to get lower and I have taken that as a sign that he is relaxing. He also kinda grinds his teeth when I stroke him, so I can feel a vibration in his cheeks, and his apparently means that he is enjoying it.
When I get Zeb out, I hold him to me for a while but not too much and stroke him around his ears until he is relaxed and then I kinda relax my arm a bit and he tends to stay there for a bit longer each time. He also seems to feel quite safe when I sit with my legs crossed on the floor and him inbetween my legs with his head on my lap and getting his ears and cheeks stroked. He does get up and hop off, have a hop about and then return to his cage and I dont stop him as I dont want him to think that I will stop him from going home.

It sounds like your rabbit is very lucky, I am still working up to loving mine (I do really but he is a moody lil sod!) and I am still quite dubious around him when he is in his cage

x

i know we shall get there, thanks for saying he is lucky..my heart is still upset as when i rescued him there was another rabbit there. They were in seperate cages however the other one had a gunky eye and fur missing. I told the lady who had them he needed the vet. She said he was fine and the gunk was jsut water from his water bottle. I was dubvious. I feel bad as i wanted to take them both as they were in such bad conditon but can only afford one and i live in a flat which has only enough space for one cage, and didnt want to have to pay for a poorly rabbit even though i know she wouldnt. I feel really bad and keeping thinking about the other rabbit..... :(

I understand that but if you are only the in the position to take on 1 rabbit then you cant beat yourself up over that.
have you thought about calling the RSPCA?
x

You need to be patient with a new bun.This is particularly so of buns who have come from places where they were not cared for or unloved. Bun doesn't know yet what you will do, so is being wary.
Remember that rabbits are prey animals so do not like being picked up as this mimics a predator(like a fox or eagle) lifting them up in the wild. He obviously sees his cage his home now and as a safe place. He's just settling in. You may get lots of little rabbit poos around the place too which is him marking his terrotory-a bit like us putting up posters:lol:
Keep trying - you will earn his trust before long:D

One thing that concerns me is the other rabbit with the gunky eye and fur missing. You mention she's an old lady -maybe she can't look after the bun properly or afford vet fees? Next time you see a free bunny health check at a vets (usually Easter time) let her know. If you decide to help her care for the other bun , take care to wash hands thoroughly and change clothes before handling your bun to avoid the chance of cross-infection.
-if its in just as tiny a hutch as your rabbit was, and in poor health you might consider contacting the RSPCa ?(or saying to a parent if under 18yrs).

Also have you taken your new rabbit to a rabbit-savvy vet for a routine check to make sure your bun is in good health?

If you post to say the town you live in, I'm sure someone on here will know of a good rabbit savvy vet near you.

Take your time and your bun will get to know you and :love:love you-Sue:D

The thing is the lady probably isnt treating her rabbits this way because she is mean but more likely because she doesnt know any better.
From the animal rescue programmes I have seen they usually dont tell the person off but remove the animal from there care and just rehome them...obviously you dont see the whole picture on the tv but the RSPCA staff do seem quite understanding.
YOu were obviously a godsend to your new lil bunny and I am sure that eventually she will love you back just as much as you love her x

I have been recomended companion care in bournemouth..does anyone agree? know? I live in poole/bournemouth area.
I phoned her just now and apparently she gave the other rabbit away....my heart feels so much better, i hope her went to a good home and that person takes him to the vet.
Also....Simon......what a little pickle, ever since i posted that up he has been sat out his cage....he has my hallway to run in..keeps coming up to my lounge doorway and watching me. i went and sat with him and he sat on my lap straight away...bizare..its as if he knew i was talking about him. hahaha....

Emailed them this morning and got a reply...from the vet..shocked at the efficiency...
had a chat booked an appointment for this PM, he said he wont charge me for the first check up, and will do both vaccinations for 35 and spay him for 45..does this sound right price?

:thumb:eek:h thats great news on both counts!! I am so pleased for you - YAY
I wish my Zeb was as brave as your simon!!
Maybe Simon could sense that you were stressed about his lil friend but now he knows that your more relaxed and can come to love you?! x

The price for Zeb to be spayed is about £45 so sounds good to me....I really cant wait for him to be chopped! I saw them for the first time yesterday at the vets and I really am not suprised that he is so territorial...OMG!!! lol x

Simon and me just got home. He is very healthy apparently :) he was so well behaved i was so proud of him. Had his jabs done, waiting for 2nd lot. Still deciding whether to get him chopped

Back