• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stomach Question.

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
I want to be able to understand and get to the bottom of it.

Bella, when she was spayed, the vet told me she had lots of poo in her stomach and suggested a change of diet, so we changed to excel.

Had the four (my bonded group, which Bella is in) back to Vets, he gave them all a check, he said Bella's weight was fine, but that he could feel poo in her stomach, not too much that would cause a blockage i think he said...and he mentioned about it when she was spayed.

He gave me some Bio-Lapis to add to her water, gave me about 10 sachets i think.

Thing is, is there anything i can do for Bella...as i dont seem to get many answers, as to why this happens.

Abit of background.....

She was adopted from PAH, as a possibly pregnant bun, no babies, but i feel this was confused with the above problem, as her stomach always seem to feel "bloated" in a sense. She doesnt seem to be able to stomach many veggies, so we keep this to a minimum. She also seems to have soft, rather long looking poos, i dont think ive ever really seen a "normal" poo. She eats hay but not as much as the others.

What do you think, anything i could do to help her, or solve this problem?

Thanks xx

It sounds as though she has chronic GI hypomotility
Trying to get her to eat more hay would help. Also feeding a pellet with a higher fibre content than Excel- eg A+P or Oxbow

Does she get a lot of exercise ? This is essential to promote healthy GI motility.
Has she had a thorough Dental Examination? Dental problems can cause reduced GI motility.

What is her weight like ? Carrying too much weight reduces gut function

With regards to her diet feeding less pellets (of any type) and more hay may help.Try different varieties to tempt her to eat more

http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/

Encouraging increased water intake will help too so offer water in a bowl rather than a sipper bottle. Many Bunnies drink more from a bowl.

Hope some of this helps :)

It sounds as though she has chronic GI hypomotility
Trying to get her to eat more hay would help. Also feeding a pellet with a higher fibre content than Excel- eg A+P or Oxbow

Does she get a lot of exercise ? This is essential to promote healthy GI motility.
Has she had a thorough Dental Examination? Dental problems can cause reduced GI motility.

What is her weight like ? Carrying too much weight reduces gut function

With regards to her diet feeding less pellets (of any type) and more hay may help.Try different varieties to tempt her to eat more

http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/

Encouraging increased water intake will help too so offer water in a bowl rather than a sipper bottle. Many Bunnies drink more from a bowl.

Hope some of this helps :)

Thanks Jane, just found this thread again.

Bella goes out in a run everyday with the others.
She has had a health check at Vets but nothing which focuses greatly on her teeth.
Her weight is 2.15kg.
Will offer a water bowl too and look into different types of hay.

Back