• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lactating??

Tambun

New Kit
My housemates and I recently adopted our first rabbit, Wispa, who's 3 years old from our local pet adoption centre. Shes a beautiful black standard rex and fits in very well with our lifestyle. Theres only one problem, she keeps lactating. We know she had a litter about 4 months ago so were just wondering if this is a normal occurance and if so how long will the lactating continue?

Thanks for any insight :)

How long had the adoption place had her? If it's less than 4 weeks or she'd been around males within the last four weeks she could be pregnant.

Otherwise I would think it's a hormone problem and she may be having a phantom pregnancy.

However I would get it checked out by a vet. Older female rabbits are prone to uterine cancer and odd problems relating to reproduction can be a symptom so it's best to check and you might want to consider spaying which will stop it and prevent cancer.

Tamsin

I believe the adoption centre only had her for a few days but she was in the same cage as her son, although i dont think he was old enough to be sexually active.

I'll try consulting the vet tomorrow and keep you posted on what happens :)

Males can be fertile from 10 weeks old! I'd suggest providing her with nesting material (lots of hay) and a box suitable to nest in, just in case :)

i would take to vets to se if vet thinks she is pregnant it is up to you if an emergancy spey is done or not if she is. if she isnt then once she has stopped lacttting then getting her speyed is nessacery to prevent uterine cancer which affects 85% of females over age 3yrs. x

Well we took her to the vets and it turns out that shes not pregnant or going through a false pregnancy or lactating.

This has us and the vet very stumped seeing as the only way her pee could be white is if she had calcium but she only eats timonthy hay and a cup full of fibre pellets :S

Im going to try filtering the water incase the hard water here is affecting her, apart from that Im out of idea :S

We have scheduled to get her speyed next week though, just incase :)

Back