• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Think Liquorice has got bloat U/D he's eating normally :)

drpengie

Wise Old Thumper
He's listless and his ears are cold. He won't eat food, not even his favourite treats! I have tried rubbing his belly, and chased him round, I don't know what to do! Help!

Last edited:
Have you given him some infacol? If all else has failed, then get him to the vet asap.

Sorry not much more help, but never experienced bloat (only what I have read on here).

You can get it from a tesco express or chemist. It is for babies and I have read that it can help bloat. Not sure on how much you give but might be worth a go someone more knowledgable will be along soon.

If you do a search on here for infacol it should come up with something.

Sending some vibes for Liquorice.

If he is cold and Anorexic he needs a Vet ASAP (tonight)

Meantime get him onto a heatpad of some sort and try to get him to take some warmed fluids.

Sending vibes

I had a similar episode with Rudy on Sunday - had to take him to the emergency vets, I thought it might be a knock-on from dental problems but it seems unlikely now as he's eating really well. I have put it down to some broccoli he ate.

Edit to add: Liquorice is a dental bunny isn't he? Just wondering if what's happening with him might be linked to dental problems.

Last edited:
I got him to the emergency vets last night. They said he wasn't really compacted and blown up. The colon area was OK, but as they moved further up to his stomach he was really not happy with it being touched!

They gave him 3 injections, and some liquid parrafin. They also gave him some rehydration stuff from a sachet, which I have to give him today at various points. They said if I was not happy with him this morning to bring him in at 8.30 and leave him for the day.

He's still not eating this morning, so I assume I take him to the vets? What do you think? Do I take Moo with me as it was so hard getting those 2 to bond. Moo doesn't seem to bothered about her food this morning either - think she is just unhappy for Liquorice. She will accept treats though! :)

The vet fee last night will be over £100 as it was a call out! :cry: :cry:

So tired too as I got back after midnight. And I got up at 5 :cry:

If he is still not eating I'd take him back to the Vets.I would ask the Vet to check to see if it's Liquorices teeth that are the cause of the problem.
I would also question their use of Liquid Paraffin. This can sometimes cause problems as it coats any gut contents making it impossible to hydrate them.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

I would take Moo into the Vets too

Sending get well soon vibes :)

the best thing i did for alvin when he had stasis was getting him admitted.. they can give all the drugs needed and also get fluids in at a much better rate than we can with syringe feeding..

sending him loads of recovery vibes xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks! I will get him back there when they open at 8.30.
Have also printed out that aricle Jane. I will take it in for them to look at! :)

I have just gone downstairs and he seems to have perked up after I have given him 30mls of his rehydration stuff. I have just offered him one of his treats and he has eaten it!! It's only a carroty, but it's a start. Will check on him again before work. There are quite a lot of poos in the tray, but not sure if they are his or Moos. I'm assuming they are his if he is accepting a treat! :)

I have just gone downstairs and he seems to have perked up after I have given him 30mls of his rehydration stuff. I have just offered him one of his treats and he has eaten it!! It's only a carroty, but it's a start. Will check on him again before work. There are quite a lot of poos in the tray, but not sure if they are his or Moos. I'm assuming they are his if he is accepting a treat! :)

yaaaaaay thats great news :D:D:D:D

separate the bun to confirm who's poos is whose. If he is eating, then the bloat is not caused by a physical blocking and it's okay. IF it's a physical blocking like he ate a furniture fiber, then it's dangerous and require surgery to get it out. Then he also would need a tube to go in his stomach to suck out the gas

Unfortunately he is only eating one or two if his carroty things at a time. I cannot get him interested in anything else. I have got a vets appoitment shortly! :(

Back