• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should my rabbit be done?

annie78art

Banned
My rabbit is about 4years old. She lives on her own. Had no babys and have not been done. Should I get her done and does she need to have one litter?:wave:

She is much to old to breed her first litter out of. Go get her done. Breeding her at age 4 will cause many problems. Also unless you are breeding for a purpose IE showing, or meat there is no reason to breed there are more then enough bunnies out there looking for homes

At that breeding will most likely kill her due to her hips not being wide enough to get the kits out. She should ideally be spayed to eradicate the risk of uterine cancer (which without a spay is roughly 80% or so chance of her getting it).

No female animal needs to have a litter before they are spayed - it's an old wives tale. All it does is breed misery as there aren't enough good homes for the babies to go to.

Spaying will help prevent several potentially fatal health problems like pyometra, cancer of the womb and mammary tumours.

no need for litter as at age 4 yrs may kill her if you spey her now you stop her getting uterine cancer this is 85% of females die from it over age 3yrs so she is at risk. also it would mean that in future you could pair her up with a neutered male rescue rabbit so she could have a companion x

My giant bun Jemima has had to have an emergency spey this week due to pyometra - she's 4 1/2 years old & we've only had her 5 months. We were advised by our vet not to have her speyed initially when we got her due to her & breed. But to be honest seeing how poorly she has been this week, I can't help but feel we should have had her done when we got her :cry:. We had no choice but to have her speyed on Monday, otherwise she would have died :cry:.I would discuss this with your vet to see if your bun is healthy enough for the op - it could prevent you losing her at a young age. She certainly doesn't need to have a litter of kits before being speyed, that could prove fatal for your bun.

I did book Trampy in to be done in 2008 but they said she was over weight. I helped her lose weight. She was ready for the opperation but my bf protested against it. Now Trampy is 6years and the vet as said she is too old my bf is still protesting about it. :cry:

Definitely take her to be done for all of the reasons above. I would also look into a second opinion about Trampy as 6 years isn't that old to be spayed. If she has health issues then fair enough but this is making me slightly suspicious about the competancy of your vet.

ETA: I don't mean this as a personal criticism by the way as it often takes a while to find a really good vet. Just wanted to make you aware that you can ask the vet lots of questions in order to make your mind up if he/she is the right one to spay one or both of your rabbits.

Last edited:
Definitely take her to be done for all of the resons above. I would also look into a second opinion about Trampy as 6 years isn't that old to be spayed. If she has health issues then fair enough but this is making me slightly suspicious about the competancy of your vet.

I agree. I rescued a bunny who was 6 and he came through his neuter really well.

Defiantly get her spayed :wave:

I don't think 6 is too old to get a rabbit spayed as long as she is in good health, I think Georgie_f's Cloud was spayed at age 7 or something :? Might be wrong though! :)

Please do speak to a rabbit savvy vet about if she's healthy enough now to be neutered.

There will always be a risk with neutering at any age, no point in tiptoeing around that fact. But it's up to you whether you want to take the lower risk of the operation, or if you want to take your changes with the higher 80%+ risk of losing her to cancer, as what happened with my first bun aged 6years and 3 months :cry: I wanted to protect her from the world and said no unnecessary operations, but I didn't realise at the time that neutering a female was a necessary operation :(

I did book Trampy in to be done in 2008 but they said she was over weight. I helped her lose weight. She was ready for the opperation but my bf protested against it. Now Trampy is 6years and the vet as said she is too old my bf is still protesting about it. :cry:

trampy is not too old at 6yrs i had a bunny spayed at 9yrs and also one at 7yrs both females iv had males done at 6 and 7yrs too and some done younger it really just needs an expierinaced vet and teh rabbit needs no other medical conditions as this can cause complications, a lot of tlc and it really isnt a problem the risk of uterine cancer only increases with age, try a different vet we can reccomend someone local if you tell us your area? also it means that rabbits can have company if neutered which is much mroe natrual for them and makes them happier, what is your bfs reasons against the spay? prehaps we can help ease his mind? x

Hes worried that she may not wake from the opperation and then we would have killed her. I gotta get my Boys done too but hes like leave them alone they are fine. I got Timmy done cos he was so wild and scrabbing me but hes still the same. My arms are full of scrambs. May be it will take time to work.

Hes worried that she may not wake from the opperation and then we would have killed her. I gotta get my Boys done too but hes like leave them alone they are fine. I got Timmy done cos he was so wild and scrabbing me but hes still the same. My arms are full of scrambs. May be it will take time to work.

I was very worried about getting Grim done but he was the same and he used to really hurt me in his 'excitement'. I got him done and he calmed down after about two months. But make sure you go to an experienced vet, someone who has done a lot of rabbit speys and had a very high success rate.

It's a hard decision for you. A lot of people on this forum have had female rabbits with cancer so they would say always spay as a female can live a lot longer and b a lot happier and healthier. There are other people who don't want to put the rabbit in for an operation for lots of reasons. You have to weigh up the pros and cons. My female rabbit was rescued so she was spayed before I got her, but my sister's rabbit was from a pet shop. She started to have phantom pregnancies and was very aggressive. She got her spayed and it all stopped. :)

Back