• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange poo related thing

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
One of my fosters (not the head tilt one) has pooed something bizarre stuck to her normal poo. It's like a dreg from a pot noodle. It is about 3 mm long, flat, about 1 mm wide and sticky. It's also an offwhite colour.

It is not wriggling and gives no indication of worms (although I have now started a round of Panacur), but, erm, any ideas? I'm stumped.

No, it's definitely not fur, and it doesnt even look like something she could have eaten, and if it was, I have NO idea what it could have been or where from :| It's a mystery.

No, it's definitely not fur, and it doesnt even look like something she could have eaten, and if it was, I have NO idea what it could have been or where from :| It's a mystery.

You'd be surprised what they can find to eat :roll::lol::lol: Well, whatever it is/was I'm guessing it's better out than in ;)

Thanks guys, sorry I didn't reply, I didn't realise there were more responses.

I was thinking of another analogy, and it was a bit like a bogey. It wasn't mucous, that's for sure (seen enough of that), and it didn't look like a worm. Only thing I could think of was old puss (like if she had some sort of abscess inside) but I couldn't wrap my mind around how that would be the case (in terms of how it came out), because it doesn't make sense with any othert option I could think about.

But thank you all for the replies :)

Just thought I would update this.

They were tapeworm egg cases. My foster brought us a tapeworm. So they have all been treated for it.

Are you sure it's a tapeworm egg case? My buns pooed something sounding very similar so I wormed them all. After a 9 day course, they still pooed them (every so often) so I wormed them again for 6 weeks. At the end of this, two of them STILL pooed the odd white thing - like you say, about 5 mm long, 1mm wide, off white, slightly sticky, not moving. This time, I took a sample to the vet who in turn, sent them off to the lab. The lab results came back as 'vegetable matter'. The vet said that buns are an intermediate host for tape worm and cannot actually have them themselves. They develop the tapeworm cysts which then develop into a tapeworm only if eaten by a predator such as a fox or dog etc.

If you find them again, I'd strongly suggest taking a sample to your vet for analysis, just to put your mind at rest.

Yeh, I'm sure. It is very rare for rabbits to have them, but it is possible. I came across someone whose bun had them and eventually passed the tape worm in two pieces and now is still trundling on and incredibly healthy. The company that produces the Droncit also agreed that whilst rare, was possible, and given the symptoms she had it pointed to it, and nothing else. She's a different bunny now indicating we treated for the right thing.

She had Droncit injections ten days apart, well, that's what she will have, she is having her second on Monday.

I thing taking a tapeworm to share around is necessary, and should become the new fashion. I don't want to be the only lucky one :p :lol:

Back