• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet shops break my heart!

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi bunny folks!

In Leeds Market there is a pet shop and I hate it. I have had numerous fallings out with the owner, its a scabby little shop.

He had 2 Dwarf Lops, 2 GORGEOUS Nethies (one what was binkying all over the place)!!:love: and a piggy all in a scabby hutch.

I know I cant home every bun I see - and these buns were comfortable and had food (**** stuff) hay and water but I hate to see them - it breaks my heart to see them being sold like meat or bread in a shop.

Anyone else like me?

I'm terrible for it. It ends up bothering me for weeks or more! I end up doing routine checks! I'm also not shy of reporting places!

It really is awful to see though! You'd think these people are animal lovers and well educated on animal husbandry but it's rarely the case! :(

I'm terrible for it. It ends up bothering me for weeks or more! I end up doing routine checks! I'm also not shy of reporting places!

It really is awful to see though! You'd think these people are animal lovers and well educated on animal husbandry but it's rarely the case! :(

It will bother me for days - I will be back in Leeds tomorrow to "check up" - one of the little Nethies was so adorable - he was a pale coffee coloured one with dark brown nose and ears and about the size of a tennis ball and was ripping around and binkying.

I love Leeds Market - but I cant wait until closes just to get rid of the pet shop!!!:censored:

I 'gave in' to the pet shop part of the local garden centre just last week. I go there every week to buy my hay and for a whole month I had seen this lovely mini lop all alone in a small indoor cage on a shelf, he was so friendly. After a whole month of shall I?, Sharn't I? I went back for him, he is now successfully bonded with my neutered female who was living alone after a fall out with her sister pre neuter.

i understadn your frustration. there is a pet shop who i continue to go to(tho rarely buy anything as dont want to help them in their trading) i go to check on the animals the first time i went there i sat for hours outside in my car in tears there was no way i could save all the ones in ther e who needed saving and i came home and asked boyf if it could at least take some of them out... but in all honesty he told me the truth which was what i needed... they will replace them. the animals in there now will need a lot of vet care problly and many are pregnant already. they have had a poor diet and lived with g.pigs as well they are unvaccinated and not pannacured...can we really risk them being herer with our own bunnys? and pay the shop to allow us to take them? the best thing you can do is complain to the rspca and the council. the animals in there have a very sad life the rabbits are in what i can only describe as glass fish tanks... the animal area stinks.....they have runs but they take turns in these adn are in them with g.pigs. they occasionally get hay. apparently get veg now and again. there are no toys or anywhere to hide in the tanks and sometimes there are pregnant females(yup still pregnant) who have their nest of wriggling babies on show in the tanks. i take in hay and push it trhough the tank tops for them. and always tell them to fill up the water bottles it is the best i cna do unfortunatly if they didnt have the animal section they are very very good for foods,treats,toys carriers.

my freind goes to france every year where the hamster breeding farms are horrific and the pet shop s are even worse...she buys a mass bullk of wheels off ebay and toys houses and goes round the pet shops putting in toys and wheels and houses....the pet shop managers go mad but she doesnt care she likes to see them treated better. but this is all she can do. apparently french pet shops are worse than here.

I went in one today. Nice and clean and the animals are well kept with clean bedding, plenty hay, good quality food (excel) and the sexes separated. Could have had more room, though as there were about 4 black rabbits in a 4 foot cage. I didn't buy anything - I was just feeling nosy and I try not to buy from places who sell live mammals and birds.

I just couldn't buy a rabbit from a pet shop as to me it's as bad as buying a kitten or puppy from one. Poor little bunnies and guinea pigs - hope they find good homes. :cry:

I went in one today. Nice and clean and the animals are well kept with clean bedding, plenty hay, good quality food (excel) and the sexes separated. Could have had more room, though as there were about 4 black rabbits in a 4 foot cage. I didn't buy anything - I was just feeling nosy and I try not to buy from places who sell live mammals and birds.

I just couldn't buy a rabbit from a pet shop as to me it's as bad as buying a kitten or puppy from one. Poor little bunnies and guinea pigs - hope they find good homes. :cry:

I really could have bought that little Nethie today - he was lovely but I knew in my heart of hearts I want to wait until the right rescue bunny comes along, I could not buy one when so many need forever homes but I am still upset.:(

Back