• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bad water bottles

Accidents

Young Bun
I don't really know why I am posting, most likely because these things are used every day for rabbits.

But I went to my local shopping centre (not sure if i can name names) And I bought some new water bottles, as the old ones just kept leaking. And were doing my nut in =D

The water bottles were the perfect size and everything. That was on saturday, that i bought them. On tuesday, when playing with my rabbits. I noticed they'd pulled the metal tubing off. I think Fudge may have eaten the ball as well as i've searched his hutch for it and can't find it. But lucky Sooty didn't eat it. So I thought I'd glue them back together so they can't remove them again. Till I noticed my 3rd rabbit Flopsy trying to drink out of her bottle.

She couldn't get any water out of it. I was so shocked, they leak as well to my dismay. Which is why I never noticed they weren't able to drink out of them. As the bottles would be half empty by the next day when i refil them. I feel like a really bad mother.

I put there old bottles back on, and they drank 2 of them within half a day they were so thirsty. And the old bottles are the biggest types you can get. So I'm guessing they haven't had a real drink since saturday, or the bottles messed up sometime since then.

I can not believe it, the amount I spent on those bottles and if they hadn't broken it or if flopsy hadn't tried drinking in front of me. I can't bare to think about it.

I am going in to the store tomorrow, with the bottles and my grumpy face. And i'll be telling them one of the balls are missing because the bottles were unsafe and my rabbits eaten it. And They will be getting MY vet bills if anything happens to Fudge because of it.

So now I'm on the look out for the perfect bottle. =( anyone know any good makes or sites that sell any?

What make were those bottles? Have they got blue tops that the nozzle fits in to by any chance?

I use savic bottles and I've found them to be reliable! x

I recently bought two snugglesafe bottles and the actual bottles were of an odd design. They didn't have a ball in either of them and I wasn't able to easily get water out of them. So I replaced the bottles with the ones from Classic Pet Products that you see all over the place. Quite miffed at that really. Think I will stick to the Classic ones from now on :?

Bob Martin Drinking Bottle was the one I just used.

My poor babies, I looked around his cage again while he was out in the run. But the ball is defently not there. So he obviously has eaten it, as its not around the cage either.

I dont know if that can cause damage or not, but thankfully he's due at the vets, so i'm going to ring and ask them if i should bring him in sooner.

Im not sure ive seen the bob martin ones. it may also be worth contacting them direct with a complaint also!

2 of my rabbits have I think savic ones? they have a green cap twister, the bit you screw on. Im not that keep on them, they leak a bit and the metal drinking spout came out of dreamas, so bottle flooded cage also. Luckly though the ball cant come out as both ends hold it in.

I got a bottle from asda, clear with blue screw cap, not sure of make, its silent also and i love them, but there no where near bing enough for rabbits, so only my rats have them.

Supa pet glass bottles, ive not seen those either, where can you get them?

My buns seem to drink alot so the larger the bottles the better :lol:

I hope your fudge hasnt swallowed the ball and he will be ok, poor bun must been so thristy.

Ive just bough ezi filla bottles from John Hopewell marketing. theyre great & dont leak, cant recommend them enough

all my bunnys prefer to drinnk from bowls i only put a bottle on there to be sure there is a back up supply in case they kick it over1

Ive just bough ezi filla bottles from John Hopewell marketing. theyre great & dont leak, cant recommend them enough

Mine didn't leak for the first few months so I bought a few more :roll: Now producing small lake under them. Wish I could tell you different - maybe I just got a bad batch:?

How much do your rabbits drink. I have only ever seen Sugar drink from bottle once ( during bonding session when she was running around a lot) in 4 years. I gave them water in a bowl too but all did was flip it! So I gave them a heavy bowl but they never drink from it ( and I've tried juice in it too). George also drank and drank during the bonding session when I was with them the whole time for two days and nights. Since then they have only had a small amount ( probably about a third of a bottle in total). This doesn't sound right to me. Are they getting enough water from their food? They play out for a couple of hours a day if its dry and I have water outside for them but they don't touch it. Their poos are big and although quite dark, very crumbly. Although Georges poos are twice the size of Sugs, but then he is more than twice her size! They wee loads and loads so they must be getting liquid somehow. I change their huge litter tray every day and its soaked through thick layer of newspaper under the sawdust.

Please advise. Everyone elses buns seem to be drinking for England!!!

How much do your rabbits drink. I have only ever seen Sugar drink from bottle once ( during bonding session when she was running around a lot) in 4 years. I gave them water in a bowl too but all did was flip it! So I gave them a heavy bowl but they never drink from it ( and I've tried juice in it too). George also drank and drank during the bonding session when I was with them the whole time for two days and nights. Since then they have only had a small amount ( probably about a third of a bottle in total). This doesn't sound right to me. Are they getting enough water from their food? They play out for a couple of hours a day if its dry and I have water outside for them but they don't touch it. Their poos are big and although quite dark, very crumbly. Although Georges poos are twice the size of Sugs, but then he is more than twice her size! They wee loads and loads so they must be getting liquid somehow. I change their huge litter tray every day and its soaked through thick layer of newspaper under the sawdust.

Please advise. Everyone elses buns seem to be drinking for England!!!

If they're eating a decent amount of veg they'll be getting hydrated that way :wave: My three don't really drink much in the evenings 'cos they get veg for their teas; but during they day they drink a lot.

Back