• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

a couple of questions

Hi everyone, ive got a couple of questions to ask. First one is the runny poo topic :(. Dylan has this issue at the moment, i remember from my last rabbit that it was such a struggle to get rid of and get his tummy back on track. Can anyone give me some tips and advice on teh best way to make it better. I have cleaned his bottom and keeping an eye on him, he is fine generally and still doing his happy hops :). Should i take fresh food such as carrots away from hima dn just keep him on his kibble and hey for now? Any advice would be great!!

My second question is to those who have dogs.....I have a 3 year old Shih Tzu who has never in his life seen a rabbit before and when he comes to my boyfs house gets very over excited, barks squeals and generally carries on awful. I have tried a couple fo things with him while he is here and think i might be getting some where. Just wondering if any one had the same issues and how you went about dealing with it? Dylan is a house rabbit and me and my boyf are looking to move in with each other after xmas so obviously charlie (my dog) would be comign with me. I would bever dream of leaving them alone together but having them being ok with each other would be a massive help! My rabbit year ago got along fine with my dog at the time, my old dog just didnt bother at all with him and didnt have to worry about cats with my rabbit as the dog scared them off anyway. Just worried about it being a nightmare and too stressful for both Dylan and Charlie to live together and wouldnt dream of getting rid of either of them so that isnt an option at all.

Again any advice would be great :)

Thank you in advance :wave:

Shal

hi you might want a mod to move this to rabbit chat as i think you would get more views... but here are my elpful tips

remove all fresh food such as carrots greens etc and stick to hya and pellets. has something changed recnetly to upset buns diet? move home..new rabbit around etc? or have you changed brand of food some buns tummys cope better with different pellets... for example chelsea is fine with excel but science select gives her a mucky bum but sooty is the opposite fine with ss but excel gives her a dodgey tum. this could be teh smae with your bunny?

is there anything new treat wise he ahs eaten that might have set him off? is he still otherwis e eating fine? if yes then its probly ok is it jsut extra caeecl poops or is it all poops are sqidgey? regarding the dogs a gradual and gentle introduction is good have dog on lead buy a spray collar say leave every time dog barks and presss spray collar. this should soon kick in on other hadn if you say leave...in a stern voice and doggy obeys adn doesnt bark or go for bun(dog on lead of course or bun in cage) then give a treat adn a fuss. still dont leave alone together but it might help? nb should say spray collar sprays water so nothing that will harm your dog.

hi Bunlover thanks for your reply. I wasnt sure where to put the thread as it was two different subjects in the one post but might be an idea to have it moved :)

I can't think of anything that has changed at all for Dylan, he is fed on excell adn his hey adn all his treats have stayed the same. On the other hand he is a real muncher and chewer so he may have munched on something left on the floor or couch. The house has been rabbit proof but a rabbit will do what a rabbit does i guess and he does every now and then have a munch on things (dvd covers seem his fave) he shouldnt. He is fine in him self, behaviour is no different at all and still munching on his hey adn been running mad all morning (sleeping it off now). Hoping it is just one of those things and hes just nibbled on a little something that hasnt agreed.

As for introducing Charlie, i have been doing the sitting with him on the floor with his lead on. Telling him to lay and ignoring all other behaviour, we started with Dylans cage covered than after several hours of him being calm we took off the cover. Again he was fine, the only time he was corrected was when he was tryign to climb on me, at that point i just ignored him, made no eye contact and removed himt o the floor again. he was doing really well until my boyf came home from work and then all hell broke loose and all my hard work was undone in one small second lol :roll:
Im hoping its just a matter of patience and it will all eventually pay off. Either that or get the dog and the rabbit and move in with them instead and tell the boyf who seems to be the trouble causer to get his own gaff lol (he'll kill me for that lol)

:D

When my puppy starts barking at the rabbits, I pick him up and put him into a room away from us, so he knows that barking at them gets him nowhere.

hi Bunlover thanks for your reply. I wasnt sure where to put the thread as it was two different subjects in the one post but might be an idea to have it moved :)

I can't think of anything that has changed at all for Dylan, he is fed on excell adn his hey adn all his treats have stayed the same. On the other hand he is a real muncher and chewer so he may have munched on something left on the floor or couch. The house has been rabbit proof but a rabbit will do what a rabbit does i guess and he does every now and then have a munch on things (dvd covers seem his fave) he shouldnt. He is fine in him self, behaviour is no different at all and still munching on his hey adn been running mad all morning (sleeping it off now). Hoping it is just one of those things and hes just nibbled on a little something that hasnt agreed.

As for introducing Charlie, i have been doing the sitting with him on the floor with his lead on. Telling him to lay and ignoring all other behaviour, we started with Dylans cage covered than after several hours of him being calm we took off the cover. Again he was fine, the only time he was corrected was when he was tryign to climb on me, at that point i just ignored him, made no eye contact and removed himt o the floor again. he was doing really well until my boyf came home from work and then all hell broke loose and all my hard work was undone in one small second lol :roll:
Im hoping its just a matter of patience and it will all eventually pay off. Either that or get the dog and the rabbit and move in with them instead and tell the boyf who seems to be the trouble causer to get his own gaff lol (he'll kill me for that lol)

:D

lol sounds like real improvement..tell that toble maker boyfreind of yours.... no im only joking... show him the good work you have been doing and make sure he wil do the same for him too xx

oh dont you worry i will certainly tell my boyf dont you worry! hehe. I think i need to train him along with the bun and poochy lol. Goin to be a very busy gal indeed :lol: xx

Back