• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Back on Hay/Straw after Neuter?

FluffyBun

Warren Scout
Ello again

Freddie is now 2 days post the snip, and he's looking fine - seems perfectly well. His poos looking more normal and he's active as normal. Is still in the kitchen in the run.

Would it be OK to put him back outside today? I don;t want to keep him in long as every time anyone goes in the kitchen he begs for more food and he will be the size of a house by this time next week if he stays much longer... Plus I want him to be company for my angora who is defo an outdoors kind of girl. In 8 weeks I'm going to try to bond them.

Other thing is - my husband picked Fred up on his way home from work so I wasn't there to hear the vet's advice. He said something about putting Fred just on newspaper, not straw or hay as it could damage his wound site. But how long for? If I put Freddie back out today would he be OK on straw now?

I need to know as I don't want to put him back out with no hay (too cold). But we want to get him back out before he gets too used to being indoors as we have a cat and a dog in the house and can't have a house bun apart from the fact the whole point of getting him neutered is so he can eventually live with Daisy...

So...
(1) When can he go back on straw/hay?
(2) When can he go back in his hutch?

I kept my 2 in for two days on newspaper but as soon as i put them outside they were back on straw and were fine.

I put my girls out a week after their spay, and they were back on straw and hay a week after. But a spay is a more major operation.

i keep them off hay or star for 4 days then slowly build up their time out of cage rest asyou dont want stitches pulled ensure that you put him outside in day time first adn hutch is very snug as the change in temp can cause major probs with buns xx

If he's used to being outdoors normally, I would put him back outside as soon as you can so he doesn't get used to being in the warm. Alfie went back outdoors the day after his op. Bubbles stayed in a little longer due to bonding problems but both were back on hay bedding after 2 days, on the vet's advice. :)

Aw thanks you lot are brilliant.:D

I have kept him in another day - and when he goes back out will restrict him a day or two in his hutch not his run. Luckily we don't have central heating only a coal fire in the living room so our kitchen isn't much warmer than outdoors! But even so I'm worried about him not adapting, so will get him back out tomorrow.

Back