• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Bigger the diameter of the nail, the stronger the genes?

The bigger the diameter of the nail, the stronger the genes?

• Agree

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Disagree

• Neither agree nor disagree

• Total voters

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
I notice something accidentally. My past rabbits are all flemish giants. My last bridge bun Goofball is 7.1 KG and the diameter of his nail is about 3 to 4 mm.

Now, my little bun Minnie, who is only 2.1 KG or so, has the same diameter of her nail, 3 to 4 mm, compares to my 7.1KG bun.

By comparison, her boyfriend Bernie, who is also around 2.2KG, has 1 - 2 mm diameter on his nail.

So I wonder, would you say a small bun has nail diameter the same range as that of a giant rabbit has strong genes?

I don't think that nail diameter relates to anything other than the genes directly linked to nail growth and occasionally inflammation around the growing nail causing excess keratin to be laid down. I'm not really sure I understand what you're asking.

Rabbits nails often get thicker as they get older...so in some ways you're right because a long-lived rabbit probably has got better genes.

This is just IMO, no scientific basis :oops:

I would think it comes down to the parents and their genes as to what the kit inherits as their genes, so not strong genes, just genes.

I have 2 buns w/ 1 - 2 mm diameter nail. Both had snap their nails. Now I should have cut them most often, I love to but it's always a battle. Having said that, it's fair to say the bigger the diameter, the harder it is to snap.

Of course, if they are too long, even the big diameter nail can snap, but under normal circumstance, comparing apple to apple, if the stem of the nail is so thin, it can easily snap

My dutch cross, is only 2 yr. old, and yet her nail diameter, the stem, is big and strong

Back