• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

tooth regrown AFTER removal

maxxev

Mama Doe
my french lop Pierre had his incisors (all 6 ) removed about a year and a half ago. recantly i noticed he appeared to be chewing when there was nothing in his mouth. his back teeth were checked by the vet who could find nothing to acount for his behaviour. yesterday i noticed he has a tooth regrowing from the site of one of his top incisors. its barley visibal above the gum and dosn't feel sharp.
how is this possibal especialy considering the length of time since the operation?

Years ago I had a rabbit have her top front teeth removed. Then some time later I noticed that a tooth had come back. I think it was what they call a peg tooth and it is normal for them to come through.

it's okay, sit back and observe every mth. See how it grows before you decide if needs to do anything about it.

You should be a simple otoscope, it'll save you a lot of money in long run than spending $90 per visit at a vet. I bought a nice one, I fig. a dozen visits to the vet will break even

yes they can re grow in some cases as the root tissue cna not alwasy be gotten out 100% adn so after a while some manges to regrow. i would personally see how it geos if it is jsut one tooth growing and not another to rub against be very careful as there is nothing for it to grow against and be worn down. you may need this new tooth removed at a later stage but seek advice fro myour vet.

....'they can re grow in some cases as the root tissue cna not alwasy be gotten out 100% adn so after a while some manges to regrow'....

thanx. i did wonder about that. he is due his VHD in a few weeks so i will speak to the vet about it then..i don't think it long enough to remove easily at the moment anyway.

I had a bunny who's tooth continuously regrew. In the end we stopped having it removed and just clipped it down. Though it might be quite difficult clipping an upper incisor. Ithink its quite common for teeth to regrow as the vet only has to leave a few cells behind for it to regrow.
Helen xx

There is somewhere in the region of a 10% chance of a tooth regrowing after removal, particularly where the roots were twisted or in the less accessable peg teeth.

Teeth can regrow when the root pulp was not properly destroyed in the first nstance and it then regains enough healthy matter to sustain growth. This is why in rabbits with dental abcessation and infection removal is often easier and more permenant, they are less likely to see a regrowth because the root pulp isn't healthy enough.

Back