• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

BIG lump at base of ear

Charys

Mama Doe
I've just been giving Mint an ear massage and scratch around the back of his neck and on the reverse of one ear, right near the botton there is a lump. It is about 1.5 cms across, wuite reddish and very raised. At first I thought of something very sinister and my stomach dropped; but I've just wondered if it could be a reaction to his myxi jab. He had his first one about 12 days ago and I am certain it was in that ear. Is it possible to get a large lump from the myxi ? (I've heard of it from the VHD) and if so is there anything I should/could do, or will it just go ?

It sounds like a localised reaction but 12 days is very late for it to appear, do you think you just didn't notice it before?

It's also possible the injection site may have become infected....probably worth asking your vets advice after such a prolonged period of time.

Oh gosh, I don't know if it was there earlier or not, I have been playing with him for hours every evening and giving him tickles and scratches etc. and I've not felt it before, BUT it is right at the base where the ear meets the skull. You can't see the lump, due to the location and fur covering, just feel it. It could have been there earlier and I didn't feel it ? He seems very well in himself, no behaviour change. Can buns get localised reactions to this then ? I think I'll take him tomorrow if it is the same size.

They can get localised reactions to myxy jabs. Not sure if this is one or not :?

Is it a hard or soft lump?

Hard ! It must be from the myxi, but I guess I need to know if it is infected or not. Another query - if they react like this on their first jab is it likely to get worse on following ones ?

- if they react like this on their first jab is it likely to get worse on following ones ?

When I've heard of buns reacting in the past to the myxy jab, they tend to react the same each time, it doesn't seem to get better or worse each time! I'd still check it out at the vets though! x

Back