• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How can I get my lady bun to eat more grass

lily22

New Kit
My rabbits are semi-house rabbits. They get to run on grass during the day and I bring grass in for them to eat while they are inside. However, the female does not eat enough and has started to pass her cecotrophs and not eat them. I have reduced their vegetables to force her to eat the grass but wonder if there is anything else I can do.

If she's not eating her cecotropes, she has too much protein in her diet. Does she have pellets? I would think she's actually eating too much rich grass, and therefore has enough nutrition that she doesn't think she needs the cecotropes. Hay has less nutrition than grass, and so they can get as much of that as they like without being too rich.

She has unlimited hay and supa rabbit junior pellets. I have reduced down the vegetables I was giving them and putting more grass in instead. It has reduced a bit but she still has the odd soft poo she leaves in the hutch in the morning after their morning run. I come back from work at lunchtime and find soft poos not eaten. She doesn't leave soft poos any other time - do you think she is protesting? She is quite an emotional bunny.

Thanks for your advice. I have now reduced their pellets to two small portions a day (just covering the bottom of the bowl), vegetables and obviously hay. Some days are better than others, we still get some soft poos in the morning. I wonder if I overdo the vegetables. They seem so hungry all the time and are frantic when I bring food in for them. What portion size of veg should a bunny have a day?

Back