• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

cost of neutering and jabs.

albo

Warren Scout
I guess I will have to get mrs Snuffles neutered and she will have to have jabs, has anyone any idea how much this will cost? Ive never had dealings with a vet so have no idea how it all works...any advice!

When i needed to take Arthur to the vet i called all the local ones and after asking questions about their rabbit savvy-ness just asked them what they charged. Doing that will probably give you a better idea of the costs in your area (i imagine they vary).

You need to find a rabbit savvy vet. I wonder if anyone from the board can recommend one in your area.

Both jabs and a spay will vary in prices depending on how much the vets charge and if they are cheaper or more expensive. My vets charge £85 for a spay and £18 for one jab, or £30 for both myxi and VHD (obviously two weeks apart, which is normal, although I only need to make one payment).

Are you registered with a vets surgery?

£85!!! eeeek!!!! Will def PM u about questions as I have no idea what i need to ask...thanks for ur help!

Prices will vary according to the vets and area. In my area Spaying costs £65 and myx jab is £18 and VHD is £16, but mine also adds on a consultation fee for the first jab! So check out consultation fees too!

I rang round lots of vets - the one my dog goes to (brilliant with dogs) quoted me nearly double the cheapest. I went with the cheapest not just because he was cheap but because when I got through on the phone, they were the only one that actually said they had to give the two jabs separately (some do it on the same day but that's wrong apparently)... and they also said that one is every 6 mths, one every 12. Other vets were trying to sell me both jabs per 6 mths! I was impressed by their accuracy and honesty as well as price.

Vaccs £14 each. Including consult fee, I presume. Vet also spent a while chatting and wasn't rushing the customers through like my dog's vet tends to. Vet extremely rabbit savvy as it turns out and both vets I've seen there especially affectionate and enthusiastic about my buns. Freddie was neutered yesterday for £54 - also a good price! Included in that is his follow up appointment next week. This vet has developed a technique for buns using a local anaesthetic with deep sedation, so I was expecting a bigger bill if I'm honest knowing more drugs are involved... and they give bun an injection to protect against gut stasis which can be a complication with buns after surgery. Not sure Fred had that as he eats for England and ate as soon as he came round!

The nurse told me how great Freddie is, when I phoned to ask how he was and my husband was told the same when he went in to pick Fred up. We got an aftercare sheet clearly just for rabbit owners which invites feedback saying they care for their patients (that's clear) and love to hear how they got on afterwards... I have got on here and educated myself in the couple of months since we got Freddie (and now Daisy) and discovered all the diet advice etc the vet gave me was spot on. He also advised me about EC and Panacur.

I'm near York which can be an expensive place to live. I have a feeling this practice has competitive prices for bunny stuff as they actually really like the buns and want to attract new patients in! So my advice is ring around. In some things in life you get what you pay for but sometimes, prices are competitive for good reason too.

Last edited:
I have two bunnies. the myxi /vhd jabs cost me 81.00 and the spaying cost 99.00 for older bunny ( she had ovarian tumours - only had her two months - bless her!) and the young one ( 5 1/2 months at time) cost me 116.00 - that did include fuciderm for her foot, metacam for the older bun. I live in South Yorks.

I'm in Lincolnshire, so things are fairly cheap up here.
Long time since I've had a bun neutered/ spayed (it was around £45 a couple of years back)
Myxi is £10.50 per bun and VHD £13 per bun here, and that includes consultation and health check.

at my vets i pay £22 for vhd and myxi....and £15 for the top up boster myxi. the speys are £65 and netuers £48. dental work while under for enuter is £10-£15. and £17.50 for consultation each spey/neuter has a free pre op check...post op check at 3 days and post op check at 10 days.

mums vets charge:£100 spey £68 for neuter £16 for each vhd and mxy and £18 for consultation.

both vets are rabbit savvy but in differnt areas of the country so it depends on where you base.. do ask around it is more important to get a rabbit savvy vet thatn a cheap one it really is and a female spey is definatly worht it as the risk of cancer in unspeyed does is 85% in over 3yr olds... i have lost one too it and regardless of age now always have my rabbits speyes(Soooty mums bun was speeyed age 9yrs)

I have brilliant vets. They charge £75 for a spay and £60 for neutering. Both prices include long-lasting painkiller and the gut stimulant which is given routinely post-op. The Myxi and VHD jabs cost £17.95 each which seems a bit excessive really, but it is worth it for peace of mind.

I've just had floppys done on monday with a rabbit savvy vet, for a health check & 2 jabs its cost me £25 but so worth it, money isn't an issue i just want whats best :love: as for neutering i'm not sure as thats to come ;) i think your best ringing around you may find it cheaper if you could travel a few extra miles it depends where abouts you are ;)

I had both my males nietered and jabbed for £50 each, but that wa with £15 off each one as i had vouchers also, so would of been £65 each. I know dreama will cost me more as spey at my vets is alot more, forgot the actual price. But at my vets you also get a discount if you book in nueter/spey and jabs in one go (obviously not done all at same time)

it cost me £18 per job and that was for two bunnies and £55 for spaying them. doesn't matter how cheap or expensive they are aslong as their rabbit savvy and their clean.

it cost me £18 per job and that was for two bunnies and £55 for spaying them. doesn't matter how cheap or expensive they are aslong as their rabbit savvy and their clean.

Totaly agree. I have different vets for different animals. Well actualy my vet is excellent with all mine except mice and she was honest with me telling me she hasnt really dealt with mice as no one brings them in. So I had to phone round all vets to find a mouse savvy vet, regardless of cost, just as long as there good :)

Same with rabbits and all was well until that new stand in vet was the one who did my nueters on my buns :evil:

Back