• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WOHOO!! Found a carpenter, now for the hutch.

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Ok, after mulling over the advice from my recent threads I have been on a search for a carpenter/ joiner to make me a 6ftx2ft2ft hutch to replace my 4ft combi...and I think I have found one.

Ad read

I am looking for someone to make me a 6ft by 2ft by 2ft double hutch.

Must be able to deliver to Oldham.

Budget of 60-80 negotiable.

But now for the design.

I have a cumfy pets 5ft'er and I really like the design, cept with all ladders it is a bit steep so Im going to ask that it goes the length of the hutch.

Is there something that you have added that you couldn't do without?

ALSO: has anyone commissioned something like this? how do you work out money, obviously the person doing it has to buy materials, but I want to make sure that my money doesn't go missing!?!?

All I can say is write down what you ask for..dimensions included and keep a copy ..do not hand over any money until you have the hutch and are satified with it

and well done for re thinking your accomodation:D

:DThats brill.
Im having some hutches made too, lucky me though i dont have to pay for anything other than a bottle of whisky.

Just about to post pics.

But i agree with what Jill has said above :)

I'd be careful about going for any kind of treated wood unless you are sure it treated with animal-friendly stuff.

I get very confused with all the terminology but isn't tongued and grooved supposed to be better than ply for durability? Ply is the best for the flooring but not sure about the rest.

I hope someone who actually knows what they are talking about comes along :lol: I wonder if it's worth reading listings on eBay and see what the 'upper end of the market' hutches give in their descriptions as to why they are good.

I think tongue and groove is better. Plywood is quite thin and flimsey. You will have to let us see photos when you have it.

Spoke to the joiner today, Ive sent him pics, and dimentions, and he is pricing up tomorrow. Doesn't want money up front, which is good

Using a professional Joiner, who I found through a gumtree ad I placed, who is making a 6ftx2ftx2ft double hutch, he priced up materials at 45 pounds and then his labour (expect about 30 -40) going to ask for the run when he gets in touch.

I couldn't find anyone to do it for a bottle of Whiskey unfortunately.

Using a professional Joiner, who I found through a gumtree ad I placed, who is making a 6ftx2ftx2ft double hutch, he priced up materials at 45 pounds and then his labour (expect about 30 -40) going to ask for the run when he gets in touch.

I couldn't find anyone to do it for a bottle of Whiskey unfortunately.

Sounds great.
Will have to let me see once you get it etc.

Hah, i know im lucky! :D:lol:

Back