• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

possible kidney problem... need advice

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
over the weekend i noticed Lilli-Mai was getting thin although she was eating and was still quite active, i rung the vets this morning to get her checked over the vet couldnt see anything wrong with her checked her teeth (fine) felt her insides (felt fine) although they felt empty, she was dehydrated the vet took some blood tests told me to come back in half an hour for Lilli and the results well result came back and they showed that her kidneys werent functioning properly.

ive been given a 9 day course of panacur and a course of fibreplex they've sent the blood sample away to get a better insight of the problem.

what could it be? also if her Kidneys arent functioning properly will i loose her? or is there hope that with the right treatment she will be ok? im worried sick and wont find out the results for a few days :(

If it's kidney failure then she will eventually waste away, however I'm not sure about how severe the prognosis is if they are just not functioning as well as possible. She is obviously going to need a lot of extra hydration (maybe sub Q fluids). You need to find out why she is struggling. If it's EC panacur is only minimally helpful and ideally a far longer course than 9 days would be needed, possibly 28 days, some people use it up to 60 if it is active EC.

i did mention E.C to the vet and he said that he wasnt sure because she was showing no hind weaknesses when he felt her spine etc. i suppose only time will tell though i hope its not E.C :(

One of my rabbits had suspected kidney failure. I can't say for sure because he was too weak and anaemic to have a blood test. He was drinking more than normal and eating well but was losing alot of weight and his muscles were wasting away :( . The vet just went by his symptoms and prescribed a full course of panacur incase it was EC, antibiotics incase of infection and fortekor tablets to reduce the pressure on his kidneys and help flush them out.
He did recover really well and has been fine for the past 6 months but I don't know exactly what was wrong, it could have been a kidney infection or EC or it might have been something else. He is still drinking alot of water so there must still be some damage but I don't think he would have recovered so well if it was true kidney failure.

I also have a rabbit that has confirmed EC, her first symptom was weight loss and she had blood tests and x-rays. They were normal appart from her kidney enzymes, she then had a titre test for EC which came back positive so that is a likely cause for the raised enzymes. She was treated with a full course of panacur and stopped losing weight but it has been really difficult to get her to gain weight again because it has affected her gut function :(
It has been nearly a year and a half since she first became ill and she is doing ok so it doesn't necessarily mean Lilli-Mai won't have long if it does turn out to be EC.

One thing you could help your bun is to take him to his urine spot every 2 hr. Rabbits love to sit at 1 spot and hold their urine until they really need to go.

1 of my bridge bun Little Happy was suspected to have chronic kidney failure. In the end, he passed away due to cancer, so the above doesn't affect him. But I did notice his urine color is quite transparent (clear). And he loves to hold his urine until he really needs to pee.

Since then, I take all my buns to their urine spots whether I see them sit at 1 spot for too long. Give the above a try, there is nothing to loose.

Lilli-Mai doesnt really stay long in one spot shes quite a wild bun always on the move! and really has no clean bone in her body! her hutch was always the smelliest! she lives free range in my shed now though :love:

i get the results tomorrow hopefully so i know whats wrong with her. im seriously hoping her kidneys arent failing because i really dont want to say good bye :( if they arent failing im going to do everything i can to make her better!

she was however used as a breeding machine for 3 years of her life could this have done any damage you think?

im worried though as shes now only weighing 1.8kg :cry:

Back