• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pineapple - wanted to share...

Julia123

Warren Veteran
Just wanted to post in case any of you don't know about or underestimate the power of pineapple for a stasis bunny.

I have had two experiences of severe stasis - both requiring emergency veterinary treatment. On both occasions - different bunny - I was advised after x-ray of an abdominal mass that could have been undigested food, gas or fur. When I asked how to break down the mass the answer was pinapple juice - must be fresh.

Both bunnies had pain relief & gut stimulants (metaclop & metacam) but i now have a reason to believe it was the pineapple that made the difference....

Gabriel was in a bad case of stasis yesterday mid day, after talking to the emergency vet I administered metaclop & metacam. After 4 hours there was no improvement so i took him for an x ray, he also had another dose of metaclop. Because of the uncertainty of the build up I syringe fed pineapple juice (from fresh pinapple) with a drop of water and a tiny amount of science recovery every 40 - 60 mins. After about the third dose (and a forced run up the stairs a couple of times) he passed a few poos. He was still in obvious discomfort but couldn't have any further pain relief as he had had is daily dose. I continued the pineapple juice and by 5am he was awake and wanted a drink of water. By 8am he was eating his breakfast of pellets - and had pooed for England !!!

I am convinced the pineapple helped to break down his stomach mass and help him pass it, the metaclop would also have helped get things moving but in the morning without the pineapple there was no improvement.

Anyway, just wanted to share as I was sceptical about it before - but I will always try it in future now as i honestly believe it made the difference for my boy.

I found mine at a Tesco Express store, usually open after hours - this was 6.30pm on a Sun, but they are often attached to 24 hour garages. The pinapple I got was pre-cut in chunks but still fresh with no additives.

So just a mental note for you really in case you are ever faced with a stasis bun - obviously first port of call is the vet but if they don't mention pineapple please give it a try.

Jx

Papaya enzyme is also recommended for woolly bunnies. I give my angora a little bit mixed into her food every week. (From Holland & Barretts). They have also eaten that dried pineapple - but I made sure to get the one with no sugar or additives, just dried pineapple. Bunnies love that as a treat!:D

Thanks for sharing, I'm pleased that they both pulled through.

One of mine had blockage last Christmas Day and we were recommended to give fresh pineapple - luckily my sister had one in! It did not actually work for her (she pulled through a few days later though), however I do regularly give them a couple of syringes of it every couple of weeks - especially during a heavy moult to try to prevent any future blockage. I also give them a 40mg Bromelain tablet every other day during moult and every few days otherwise.

My vet also recommends it but not too much because it is high in sugar and if given too regularly can cause diabetes.

Oh - my two love pineapple and papaya treats from Hay Experts - again not too often though due to sugar content.

Yes, I do every couple of weeks. Just a syringe (or so :oops:) each as it is supposed to help get rid of hair in the gut - I think it is the bromelain in pineapple. They love it so much.

I knew that Papaya could help but not that pineapple did! This is such a good thread! I'll start treating Josie to pineapple every week now, as I always worry about hair build ups as she's a lionhead and washes a lot! Thanks :D

Papaya enzyme is also recommended for woolly bunnies. I give my angora a little bit mixed into her food every week. (From Holland & Barretts).

Sorry to double post! Is this easily available at all Holland and Barretts do you know? Or is there anywhere else that does it? Also how do you give them it?

Thats great news so glad there better ;) i'm going to get some now, i too have a lionhead so he's always washing himself, thanks for sharing that ;)

Sorry to double post! Is this easily available at all Holland and Barretts do you know? Or is there anywhere else that does it? Also how do you give them it?

Yes, I got the chewable tablets and I use an old mortar and pestle to grind it down then add to her food. I just give her one tablet a week. Freddie my other rabbit would happily eat a tablet whole!

Maybe that's a low dosage though as I just checked online and look what I found:

http://www.coloradohrs.com/articles/diet_detailed_generic.asp

Last edited:
Thanks for the adivce i will go and buy "Papaya Enzyme Chewable Tablets" from hollant and barrett next time im in town. Should 1 a week be ok?

Yes, I got the chewable tablets and I use an old mortar and pestle to grind it down then add to her food. I just give her one tablet a week. Freddie my other rabbit would happily eat a tablet whole!

Thanks so much for that. When I'm next in town I'll grab some and try it out on Josie! I bought some pineapple today so she can have a little bit of that for now! :wave:

Just had to say, I've tried Josie on a piece of pineapple today and it went down very well and very quickly! Now to find the Papaya Enzyme Tablets! :D

Back