• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Treatment for Pelvic Fracture?...

carley1985

New Kit
Hiya,

After a trip to my vet i've been told that my rabbit may have a pelvic/spinal fracture, on the otherhand it may just be muscle damage.

She was given an anti-inflammatory injection and is going back again tomorrow.

Just wondering, what happens to rabbits that have a pelvic or spinal fracture? Are they left to heal? What are they given medication wise? Are they put to sleep? :(

Cheers.

Was your Rabbit Xrayed?
I assume the Vet advised you to confine your Bun to a cage?
Has your Bun lost the use of her hind legs?
Is she eating/pooing/weeing?

Was your Rabbit Xrayed?
I assume the Vet advised you to confine your Bun to a cage?
Has your Bun lost the use of her hind legs?
Is she eating/pooing/weeing?

She will be x-rayed tomorrow if there is no improvement, there is deffinitely no break and no serious spinal damage because her reflexes were good.
I'm keeping her in a large-ish cat box, she has been in there all day and not ventured out even with the door open.
She is sort of using one leg when whe has to move (she's been led down all day), otherwise it's a painful looking half bum-shuffle, I felt really sorry for her when the vet made her walk around the floor :(
She's eating veg and grass/hay but not her pellets, she's not drank much though. She's weeing/pooping fine.

Since having the jab she has sat up and moved a little bit around the cat box which she didn't even attempt to do before.

If she continues not to use her back legs will they x-ray her only to tell me it's bad news and have her put to sleep? Or will it heal?

If she continues not to use her back legs will they x-ray her only to tell me it's bad news and have her put to sleep? Or will it heal?

It would depend on where the fracture is (if there is one)
It is possible for fractures to heal. It often takes many weeks of cage rest plus anti-inflammatory medication. The fact that your Bun is eating a little and is pooing and weeing OK is good news. As is the fact that her reflex responses are good. From what you describe I think there is significant hope that your Bun can recover, it just may take a very long time.
Please let us know how you get on tomorrow

:)

jsut wante dto add get well vibes and a painkiller will certaintly help too! :) aww vibes your way and hers and fingers crossed that vet cna help her(just a secondry thought has she been pannacurred to rule out ec? as i think this can cause back legs to give way?)

Aww thanks for all of your kind thoughts, I took Heidi Houdini (as she is now known!) back today and.....

She's ok :D

This morning she was a little perkier and actually sat up when she saw me, she has was also grooming herself again (which she stopped doing) and was trying to get out of her cat box. I let her out to see if there was any improvement and there was, she is now using her left leg properly and just holding up her right, poor thing. A big improvement from bum shuffling!

The vet had another look at her and gave her another anit-infammatory jab, she has to go back on Thursday for another check-up, if there is no vast improvement then she needs an X-ray. But to be honest I think she will be okay. I was really worried last night and just stayed awake crying. In the meantime she will be have to stay in her cat box and not in her enclosure, all this resting is doing her good. Lets hope that she will be her happy, bunny-hopping self soon!

xxx

Back