• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long for matoclopramide to work? Sad Update

Kaz Johnson

Young Bun
We took Fudge to petmedics but we have just had a call to say we have lost him. What did I do wrong! He was only 14mths old. My concern now is for his bonded brother. How do I help him to cope with this loss. We are devastated and I am so confused what to do now. PLease help:cry::cry::cry: How do I prevent this from happening again. I thought I was doing everything right.

I am so sorry but if it is any consolation I know my vets have done everything possible for your bun:cry:

I personally think your vet should have admitted him this morning as I had a bun in stasis just over a week ago and my vet admitted her straight away

You don't use Buchannans by any chance?

I'm sorry about Fudge. You didn't do anything wrong, but your vet did, by not taking prompt action quicker. You did everything you could, including taking him back to the emergency vet.

I'm just really sorry.

Binky Free Fudge.

Kaz- sorry to hear of your loss:cry:
pm bunlover re bonded bun dealing with loss of partner bun. -Sue:wave:

So sorry for your loss.

Rabbit can get emotional stress from losing a companion. So with the bonding brother, you need to get him to smell the body of Fudge for about 1/2 hr., then look around in one of the rescue centers in your area, and get him a new bunny companion.

here's a list of rescue center in UK

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

or go to the RAbbit In NEED section and see who's available

Or post in the rabbit in need section, many members w/ rescue centers will response to you

Thank you for your messages. They mean a lot. We brought Fudge home so Bam Bam could see him. It was so strange he seemed quite giddy around him and shook his little paws and sniffed him and then ran about. I didn't know what to expect as my boys were my first buns.

Is it best to leave it a while to introduce a new friend and does it matter if it is male or female? My boys were from the same litter so bonding has never been an issue. Will check some other threads on tips on bonding. Thank you once again. Love you Fudge, :love::love::love:my precious boy x RIP

It really depends on how your bunny feels-you will know best. I have brought a bunny home within a week the first time but did not bond until 3 months later as he had to be de-plummed. The second time it was about a month.

unfortantly buns can go at any age :cry: hmm you could get hima f riend but mabey he might prefer to be on his own evryone to there won R.I.P bun bun so sorry for your loss :(:cry::(

I bonded bournville with my other two within a week/10 days of Floss's death. I would definitely try to find a mate for a previously bonded rabbit as it is used to another rabbit's presence.

Back