• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth problems

George&dillon

Mama Doe
We just got our bunny yesterday, i'll put his story on a another thread as its a bit long ;) taken him to the vets tonight for his 1st vac VHD and his check over ;) the vet checked him every where the only concern she had was his front teeth are a bit longer than they should be, which in all honesty i was expecting abit more than that so we are lucky in some ways ;) she told us to feed him hay to get him using his teeth not sure where my head was in the vets as i fired loads of questions at her just forgot to ask about this, think we were just so pleased he's so healthy ;) has anyone got any advice on what else we can feed him to get him using his teeth or are we best just sticking to the hay ;) thanks in advance ;)

I'm glad he is healthy besides his front teeth, that must be a relief :)

Considering where he came from he probably didn't have a good diet, so hopefully with some nice hay to munch on it will make a world of difference to him.

As long as the teeth are meeting in the middle and have a good cutting edge I'm sure he will be fine given some time :)

Thanks for the idea's i thought of apple tree branches are crab apple ones ok? we have tons of them around here, i work for forestry so as soon as i go back to work i'll go round getting some of the others ;) Thanks Hugo's There without you or your wonderful advice i wouldn't have him and he'd still be stuck there :love:

hello from australia! :wave:

a question about my 8 yr old bunny mojo. we had his teeth filed for spurs a month ago. at the time the vet also did skull x-rays and found no major issues. he had one wobbly cheek tooth left on the left hand side which the vet easily removed.

he now has NO teeth on his left but a full set on his right. we have had ongoing issues with his teeth over the years. his incisors are fine and meeting ok but.. he cannot eat properly still, after a month.

initially i syringe fed pureed food and crit care. he then started eating on his own but favoured soft things and seemed not to be able to eat greens at all- especially leaves. i have had them available to him the whole time but he just keeps dropping it and gives up

i started grating him carrot, chopping greens and blending hay and pellets after it didn't resolve. i called the vet and was told he would learn to compensate and eat on the right but it is not happening anytime soon i don't think

i'm worried he is going to now end up with incisor problems as well due to not eating any hard food.

he is otherwise healthy as an ox and much loved.

any suggestions?!

To George&dillon

Your bun should have a diet composed of a min. of 80% timothy hay. If they eat that much hay, it will grind down their over grow teeth.

==========================

Gnat:

No rabbit like critical care. It smells bad. I found a substitute: you get 6 oz. of blackberry or raspberry, smash it in a juicer. Now cut the stem of the timothy hay in a 1 mm length, mix it in the blackberry mix.

That way, he can eat some fiber and the blackberry or raspberry mix taste good.

Also, I would continue to get him to eat the hay, it can grind down his teeth

it doesnt have to be timothy hay as long stalky hay like meadow hay is also god and gives a larger variety as long as its hay its all good :) i would gradually wean him onto a high fibre pellet mix off the one he is on and see how he goes slowly. wooden gnawing blocks are good and willow and apple branches/sticks are yummy too! :)

The hay i got him is the bale hay from the farm so as fresh as can be, i also got some Alfalfa King which is Oat, Wheat & Barley ;) we have the excel pellets which i have been putting into his normal food but less of the normal ;)

Back