• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long for matoclopramide to work?

Kaz Johnson

Young Bun
Hi, took fudge to the vet this morning because he wasn't eating or drinking or pooing. The vet injected metacam and metoclopramide at 9.30am and I have been syringing some water ever since throughout the day. He is still no better, his tum is hard and he is grinding his teeth. how long does it take for the metoclopramide to take effect (its 3.45pm now)? I am so worried about him. He has another appt at the vet for the morning.:( As he still hasn't pooed I was unsure whether to syringe any mushy pellets. Thanks Kaz

He sounds very much in pain. Did the vet feel his gut to see if there was a reason for this behaviour? stasis if generally secondary to something else, like a blockage, pain, dental problems, gas.

Metachlopramide generally induces painful spasms to get the gut moving again so this may be causing him discomfort.

Did the vet give him sub Q fluids or anything like that? It's hard to know what to suggest for the bun in terms of what you can do because some things you can do for gas can be detrimental if it is not gas, although Infacol wouldn't be. That's a baby gas med and something that might help if he does have gas, but won't hurt if he doesn't.

I'm more inclined to think he needs some more help tonight. Could you take him back tonight?

hi

i would ring the vet and see if they would see rabbit at last appt. i had a new bunny same thing unfortunately it was stasis of bowel. my vet had sent me home after the injects with syringe and an emergency fluid mix to try.
hope all goes ok

hilary

Hi, I too would suggest that you contact the vet again. Was your bunny given any pain meds?

Did they check if it was a blockage - if it is a blockage you should not try and force feed.

Have you tried to get your bunny moviong around a bit as this can help to start the gut moving again. Make sure you keep Fudge warm and plenty of fluids. Some people also suggest some fresh pineapple juice - I buy a pineapple and just squeeze it.

Poorly Fudge

Hi, the vet examined and felt his tum and looked at this teeth. He gave the injections and since then I have constantly nursed him. I am giving him a bit of infacol every hr and a syringe of water. I've also been massaging his tum which feels like a water filled balloon. I've brought him and his brother in to keep him warm. Am i ok not giving any mashed pellets as long as I keep giving him water? Still no poo or wee yet!:( Just hope I am doing everything possible until the vet opens again tomorrow morning.

I'd be inclined to phone the vets. If your vets is shut then they will either have a phone number for there emergency vet which will probably be PetMedics and their number is 0161 794 4999 (I use these vets) If he is still grinding his teeth then he is in pain as the Metacam should have helped well before now.

I'd be inclined to phone the vets. If your vets is shut then they will either have a phone number for there emergency vet which will probably be PetMedics and their number is 0161 794 4999 (I use these vets) If he is still grinding his teeth then he is in pain as the Metacam should have helped well before now.

I agree with Kay.
From what you descibe your Bun sounds to be very poorly:cry: and your Vet should probably admit him for intensive care

I do hope your Bun will recover

My fudge has gone

We took Fudge to petmedics but we have just had a call to say we have lost him. :cry::cry::cry:What did I do wrong! He was only 14mths old:cry::cry:My concern now is for his bonded brother. How do I help him to cope with this loss. We are devastated and I am so confused what to do now. PLease help:cry::cry:

You did everything you could. I'm so sorry. You could consider a new partner for his brother when/if this is what you and him want when the time is right. Until you decide on the best for him (and you), make sure he has plenty of cuddles and keep a close eye on him to make sure he is eating/pooping and is generally well.

Back