• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need some advice on bunny diet

SuperGirl

New Kit
I have a 2 month old bunny, she is healthy and energetic. However today I have noticed her poo is quite soft and runny. I fed her greens last night, and think this may be the cause to her tummy upset, she still seems happy and healthy, I just want to know if I'm taking the right action. I've cut out any vegetables from her diet and given her lots of hay, and was going to take her to the vets if hadn't cleared up in 24 hours. Is there anything else I could or should be doing?

Also when my rabbit gets let out of her cage, she runs around like a loony! Is this normal, she like flinches and runs then jumps and twitches, is this her having fun and enjoying her space?

Any advice will be great, Thanks

Helen xxxx

Yup, cut out the veges and I wouldn't suggest introducing anymore until she is maybe 4-5 months old, minimum. When you do reintroduce, just try a tiny tiny bit and increase if you see no adverse affects, but give it 24 hours to see any affects that might come from them. I would suggest today pushing the hay and also keeping her hydrated.

Those jerks sounds like binkies, and that is normal. It sounds like she is having great fun.

Her running and jumping around like a loon is a sign of a happy bunny, encourage it :)

You were right to cut out the greens and only give your bun hay. Is she also on pellets?

You need to keep an eye on her bum too, clean it if necessary to prevent any flies.

She is on pellets as well. I checked her just now and her poops are normal again. Thanks for the advice, I'm not going to give her any greens until she is a bit older. Does she need them though yet? As she lives indoors and can't graze on grass?

Thanks for your help, Im glad that her jumping her around is because she is happy. She was in a tiny little cage at the pet shop with two guinea pigs, so I think she is loving all the space. She runs full pelt and then jumps up and spins, shes really cute. I was just worried cause she occasionally runs into things. I think she is just a bit ditzy :love:.

Thanks Again xx

Hay is the most essential part to a rabbits diet, followed by pellets (generally), so no, veges are not essential :) They are only essential in a non pellet diet.

Back