• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 2 Boys - size difference - please advise

Netutopia

Alpha Buck
Hi :wave:

I have recently taken in my friend's unwanted French Lop Nibbles, and as Thumper has a great big shed all to himself I thought it would be good if they were buddies (lets hope they agree!) :lol:

Nibbles was neutered 2 weeks ago (he is 8 months old). As my husband (who is allergic to bunnies!) is out for the afternoon, I thought that I would try and see how they got on as inside is neutral to them (they are outside bunnies).

Neither really reacted to the other at first - both seemed a bit nervous of inside! Then Nibbles started humping Thumper and poor Thumper just sat there. :shock:

Is it too soon to have tried them together? Or is this normal - Nibbles is double Thumper's size and I don't want Thumper to get hurt or scared.

I would really appreciate any help and advice. Thanks in advance!

in terms of size i dont think it matters i have a mini rex with a large lop, when he mounts her his front paws dont touch the ground and hes clinging on for dear life on the back of her neck, :lol:
in terms of bonding advise someone else will share better light than me

I'm not sure bonding 2 adult males is a great idea.

I have never had experience of this myself but have heard that it very rarely works :(

I hope someone with more experience is able to answer your questions.

If thumper didn't react violently to being humped then it sounds like the pairing could work. I'd leave it a few more weeks though for nibbles' hormones to go down even further.

If thumper didn't react violently to being humped then it sounds like the pairing could work. I'd leave it a few more weeks though for nibbles' hormones to go down even further.

I know I perhaps am being a little hasty, but it just really upsets me to see Nibbles in a 6 x 2 x 2 hutch - I keep putting him in the run in the daytime but he is a huge bunny - 1 hop and he is over the other side of the hutch and as for being able to stand up :cry: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=149568

How long should I leave it do you think?

Sorry no advice but just wanted to say that I was thinking of the gorgeous Nibbles yesterday and wondering how he was doing. :love:

Sorry no advice but just wanted to say that I was thinking of the gorgeous Nibbles yesterday and wondering how he was doing. :love:

Awww - thanks! He is doing really well, he hasn't been any trouble with his op - kept him in overnight and the next day in his hutch - then back to normal - putting him in the run in the day.

He had his stitches out on Thursday, he hadn't even nibbled them (bless him) and had his myxi jab, so he is going the right way now.

I just pray that he will get on OK with Thumper.

He is such a softy - but rapidly eating us out of house and home!

I'm glad he's doing well and got through his op ok. :love::love: Sending lots of bonding vibes. :D

I have hardly any bonding experience but about the only thing that happened when Alfie met Bubbles was a lot of humping. :lol: The rescue said that as long as she tolerated it (which she did) then it was ok.

Hello:wave:

Just to let you know that I have 2 males - Eric and Ernie.:)

They were seperated at 12 weeks due to fights, but have been re-bonded.
We did have a scuffle a couple of weeks ago, and I did not seperate them again. We are taking it slowly again.
Eric is a bit bigger than Ernie and he is the dominant one.

I do know others on here have boys together and they are fine, so it is possble, but just take it slowly.
I am going to move my 2 into their new shed soon and am quite expecting a few scuffles, but Hopefully it will all be o.k

I know JRN1310 is brlliant with advice, so hopefully she will be along soon.

Sorry, that's not to say that she's the only one on here, there are lots of knowledgeable people that will be able to help. It's just that Janice has been a huge help to me with mine.

If you want re-assurance about 2 boys together have a read of my post:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=143614

It caused quite a stir, but made me realise, that 2 boys can live together - not always, but it is possible:)

Good Luck with your 2

Thank you for your reply Jessica Rabbit - Eric and Ernie look adorable :love::love::love: what sort of bunny are they?

...just read the link to your post - you certainly have had a time with your boys! - thanks for the link.

Last edited:
Hello Netutopia

Eric and Ernie are Lionhead x mini Lops (wombles to most people:lol:)

Yes, we've certainly had our ups and downs with them both, but it has been worth perservering in the end, as they are great together now (she holds her breath and touches wood)..

I hope you didn't mind me referring you to my thread, but I gained a lot of hope from that experience.

As I said, I am going to put them in their new shed next week and I have my suspisions that Eric will want to stamp his mark on everythng until Ernie knows his place. But hopefully it will be quick and we can return to normality (whatever that is:lol::lol:)

GOod luck with your boys. keep us posted on their progress

Back