• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would this be ok?

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
Just found out we're moving house two weeks today & we'll be smashing Rhias hutch up before we go (Its a good hutch, but the past few weeks its been getting damp inside & its causing fuzzy mouldy stuff :mrgreen:) She is fine whilst we're here because she can just live inside, but when we get to the new house her hutch wont be ready & theres nowhere indoors she can go. She can be out in the garden all day, but at night would she be Ok in her crate in the shed, all covered in vet bed & blankets etc? Or would it be too cold :?

I would have though it would be too cold, could she not go in the hallway or bathroom?

Theres no hallway & the bathroom wouldnt fit the crate in. She cant be free in the house because its going to be dangerous for her. I thought it'd be too cold but then Mum said about buns that live in sheds all year round...Pretty sure not all of them will be insulated :?

What about if it rains or something during the day, will she have somewhere dry to go?

She is also used to being inside so will probably be more cold than a regular outside bun would be in that set up.

The being in the shed is fine,mine have puppy pens in the shed,but i wouldnt leave her loose in the garden.do you not have a run for her? what has she being going in at your previous house?

She isnt used to being inside, She lives outdoors. And of course she'll have somewhere dry to go. Ive got a run that she can go in until the garden is rabbit-proofed so thats not a problem :) Once everything is sorted she'll live the same as she has here, mainly be free range in garden with her hutch open to get into if she wants but in a run if we're out all day or whatever - this is only temporary until the hutch is made XX

I wouldn't bring her in then put her out again - change of temperature kan kill quicker than cold if they're used to being outside in the first place.

If she has plenty bedding and insulation, I'm sure it's not much difference her being in the shed than in a hutch. Is there no way you can block a decent sized area of the shed off for her rather than her being shut in the crate? I wouldn't leave her loose or unsupervised in the garden as you've no idea how bunny proof it is or what predators are in the area. Foxes are very bold with no fear of humans and she would be a sitting duck even if you were at home.

Personally if her new accommodation isn't ready yet, I'd take her old hutch just for now, give it a good scrub inside with bleach to help kill the mould then get some cheap lino tiles or an offcut and just stick it to all the inside surfaces to stop the damp penetrating. If there's anywhere she can get at edges, a bit of cheap wood battening over the edge will stop her ripping it up. It will cost between a tenner and twenty quid which is nothing in the face of keeping her safe.

She is fine whilst we're here because she can just live inside

Sorry, when I read that, I thought she was living inside, hence why that was a concern. They can adjust to being inside very quickly in this weather and need a graduation to go outside. That was all I was thinking.

If she is used to being outside a shed will be fine with lots of hay blankets bedding etc. I would be careful about leaving her loose in the garden on her own. If you think she might be cold it might be a good excuse to get her a friend to snuggle with ;) (if appropriate obviously)

Okay...Im not leaving her out in the garden UNTIL its been rabbit-proofed. I know a lot of people dont agree with buns living free in the garden, but I do & I know all the pros & cons :) She has nothing less than any bun, shes spoilt rotten & has a lovely hutch and run as well as being free. I cant take her hutch to the new house because its too big to move out of our garden, let alone get into the new one. She'll only be shut in the crate overnight, I know it isnt ideal but im sure she'll chew out of the shed. Im well aware of how to house her, I was just asking whether that would be ok for a few days :)

i think she would be ok in her crate, you can cover the sides with blankets if you are worried about the cold but as she is used to being outside she probably wont be anyway

She will be fine and knowing you, you will probably sit there and cuddle her all night if you thought it was to cold;):lol::lol:

My rabbit lived in the shed all year round without blankets etc... he had a hutch to go into if he wished and also lots of hay to snuggle in...My current two have the wendyhouse and a little sort of hutch with a arch going into it which keeps them off the floor if they wish...

Like yours when the weathers better mine are going to run free range whilst i am there and will stay in their run when im not... Mine are used to outside as well so i wouldnt worry..:)

I think it'd be better for her to free range and be put in her crate at nice with blankets surrounding three sounds, and plenty of hay and blankets for her.

I knoooow, I worry too much about her! :roll: Sorry I forgot to mention that the crate will have profleece down on the floor, and blankets and everything over the top & sides. We have just been to the new house to measure for her hutch & have confirmed the order now, and will get the cover ordered asap, so that arrangement will hopefully be for just a few days :) Shes absolutely tough as old boots so im not sure what im worried about to be honest!

She will be fine and knowing you, you will probably sit there and cuddle her all night if you thought it was to cold;):lol::lol:

I'd be lucky, shes not a cuddle bun like all my rest have been - She might tolerate it for a few minutes til she realises & kicks off :roll::lol::lol:

I'd be lucky, shes not a cuddle bun like all my rest have been - She might tolerate it for a few minutes til she realises & kicks off :roll::lol::lol:

Thats true:lol:. But I know what you are like:roll::lol::lol::lol:

Back