• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alfie again

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
Alfie felt thinner again Friday night - I'm still feeding him separate, so pick him up daily. I took him to the vets Sat, & he has def lost weight from being given the thumbs up last time. She gave him a jab to stimulate his appetite - despite me having an argument that that wasn't the problem - he's pouncing on food. She told me to separate him, & keep him warm, & feed him 5 feeds a day. Sunday he was worse. I swear his weight has just dropped off him. He was moving around but it's in slow motion. I spoke to Angie & I'm now feeding him every 3 hours. He's in a dog crate (now with Polly) in a heated room, & since about 3am he has definitely picked up. His belly feels full & although he's not touching hay, he's eating porridge, pellets & banana & a bit of grass. I'm separating Polly from him every 3 hours - she goes out for a run for 20 mins or so until Alfie has eaten as much as he's gonna. He's had some blood & samples taken this morning - I managed to get in with diff vet so he's having tests for kidney function etc.

He's definitely perkier, but he scared the life out of me yesterday, he just had no belly:shock:

Is there anything else I should do? The vet said that if he stops any of the feeding at any time, he's to go straight to them & go on a drip.:cry:

Ohh, Poor Alfie. I know from Daniel just how scary it is when the weight is literally falling off them before your eyes, its horrific :cry: I dont know what to suggest, but am thinking of you both & hoping its good news XX

Is there any chance of a blood test? Just in case it is his kidneys? sending lots of vibes :love:

He is definitely putting on weight - his belly feels full all the time, & his poos looked a bit bigger today. I hated going in his room before cos I didn't know what I would find, but he comes to the cage door now, & he's tucking into his pellets/mix/toast:oops: (You WILL get fat). Bit worried about the lack of hay he's eating, but I guess we can worry about that when he's out of the dangerous-weight bit.

Great news sending him more vibes :love:, did you get the blood results back?

Not yet. Am expecting them at the end of the week. Vet did warn that even if his kidney results come back bad, that could be because of his low bodyweight, not causing his low bodyweight. If that makes sense. He may have to repeat the tests when he's a bit bigger.

Back