• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really worried about Rudy ... U/D pooing and eating!!!

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I became aware of Rudy being uncomfortable around 3.00 pm, it looked like stomach upset as he was shuffling around and flopping and then getting up. He was intermittantly shaking/panting and gave the impression of being in discomfort (though not teeth grinding).

He's not eaten since then or been to the loo. I haven't seen him 'attempting' at the loo either.

He's had a painkiller and gut stimulant at about 7pm since when he has looked more settled. I've been advised if he's no better in the morning take him for an x-ray.

I have seen him drink, he moves around occasionally but in a fairly restless way and resents me fussing over him, though most of the time he is contented snuggled up to Tinks.

I intend to encourage him to eat later but should I syringe feed him or is it too soon to get to that stage? I have some Science Recovery. He had gut sounds at the vets but fairly quiet. If I need to take him to the vets tomorrow it will be 17 hours from when I last saw him eat - I really need to MAKE SURE he eats at sometime in the night, don't I? Isn't 17 hours too long?

The vet said to only offer him fibrous food but I'm wondering if I should offer something else as well, just to make sure he has something in his belly.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I would try to get him to take some fluids first.
Cooled boiled water with a probiotic added (if you have any).
If you do give any SR feed make it more watery than it says on the mixing instructions.

Try popping him into an area he is unfamiliar with. This may encourage him to hop about as he investigates things. Exercise is important too for getting his guts going.

Did your Vet check Rudy's teeth ?

I would definately start trying to temp your bun with lots of interesting things to eat, freshly picked grass, grated carrots, apples, herbs, shredded cabbage leaves ... anything you can get htem to eat. If this does not work I would in the next hour start syringe feeding them.

A nice warm snuggle safe or hot water bottle used under strict supervision will help make them a little more comfortable as well.

Thanks for the vibes.

I've just put some Excel in the bowl and he came over with Tinks but then went away again. He definitely seems brighter.

He had a dental about 3 months ago, he's not shown any signs of slowing down eating but he didn't last time either - he just one day didn't eat his pellets. .... so I'm wondering.

I had wondered if it was caused by either broccoli which he ate earlier. He's also been plucking the carpet, I really hope he hasn't ingested any.

Replies to read whilst posting. thank you

Thanks for the vibes.

I've just put some Excel in the bowl and he came over with Tinks but then went away again. He definitely seems brighter.

He had a dental about 3 months ago, he's not shown any signs of slowing down eating but he didn't last time either - he just one day didn't eat his pellets. .... so I'm wondering.

I had wondered if it was caused by either broccoli which he ate earlier. He's also been plucking the carpet, I really hope he hasn't ingested any.

Replies to read whilst posting. thank you

If you think he may have ingested a lot of carpet fibre I would definately hold off syringe feeding anything but water for the next few hours.
Sending lots of get well soon vibes :)

Thank you so much for the replies.

Vet didn't check Rudy's teeth. It was definitely belly ache at the time which I didn't associate with dental problems, though he does have dental history :? I did discuss the possibility of it being dental but she thought it unlikely (I think she's a locum, haven't seen her before).

I had quite a battle with him three months ago refusing food before/after dental but his symptoms this time have been really different.

I'm going to try some really sloppy SR as I really stressed him with attempts as syringing last time, and the SR is a way of getting fluids into him, hopefully. I shall wave a tiny piece of curly kale at him to as a gauge to what's going on :?

Sorry Jane, cross posted again. Is SR a really bad idea then, even if very sloppy? as syringing water will be very stressful for him.

I have seen him drink but not much. Just cooling some boiled water at the moment for him.

I agree about the fluids rather than any food - you don't want to clog things up further, you want poos to come out first. I swear by peppermint tea these days (obviously cooled and syringed, unless you're lucky enough to have a bun that enjoys it).

Hi there, sorry to hear about Rudy - I know how you feel my boy Gabriel went into stasis at about 1pm today, I gave him metaclop (gut stimulant) and Metacam (pain relief) but he was no better so i took him to the emergency vet for an xray - really important as if Rudy has a blockage syringe feeding SR can cause ut to worsen. I have been feeding Gabriel fresh pineapple juice and water (he also had a Metaclop & Baytril injection at the vet) and he had pooed a little since - he is still very off colour though but at least we have poo! If you can get some fresh pineaple (not tinned as it kills the enzymes) I would really suggest this as it helps to break down any blockage. Gabriels X ray showed a dark area that could be either gas, fur or indigested food the main thing for him is to get it out and the pineapple is helping my boy. If you have a 24hr Tesco store or garage near you they should sell it. seding prayers for you and Rudy xx

I'm probably wrong about the carpet but I will work on the theory that we need to get things out before putting anything else in!

I did just offer him a small piece of curly kale and he took it really enthusiastically but earlier he decided not to have pellets, so I'm now strongly believing there's a dental element again. .. not that that fully explains the belly ache but does explain reluctance to eat.

He's not hunched up now either, he's having a good roam around with Tinks so he's much happier.

I'll make sure I get some fluids down him somehow but the very weak Science Recovery isn't something he fancies right now.

Thanks Julia. No chance of getting pineapple I'm afraid but I will definitely be careful that he poops before eating much.

The vet did say she couldn't feel anything obvious but I know we really need an X-ray if there is no poo soon.

He's much brighter now, as normal in fact. He just came over to me begging but went away when I offered an Excel pellet. He has been nibbling at hay too.

Should I worry about him eating hay? I'm kind of working on the theory that if he's eating enthusiastically then I shouldn't stop him?

It's not unusual for him to go about 6 hours without pooing then doing a huge pile (sorry to be so graphic :oops:)

We have pooh! Yeah. I can't believe how many times I've checked their litter tray in the small hours.

Thank you so much everybody who offered help and advice. I'm very, very grateful ... I've had about 50 different worst case scenarios going through my head in the meantime (thanks also Kirsty for talking me out of the likelihood of the worst case senarios ....:roll:)... oh such hard work being a bunny mummy ....

... I'll have to keep an eye on his status regarding eating hard food though, I suspect the poor boy will need another dental, I was hoping the previous was a one-off.

We have pooh! Yeah. I can't believe how many times I've checked their litter tray in the small hours.

Thank you so much everybody who offered help and advice. I'm very, very grateful ... I've had about 50 different worst case scenarios going through my head in the meantime (thanks also Kirsty for talking me out of the likelihood of the worst case senarios ....:roll:)... oh such hard work being a bunny mummy ....

... I'll have to keep an eye on his status regarding eating hard food though, I suspect the poor boy will need another dental, I was hoping the previous was a one-off.

So glad he is feeling better :)
Dental problems can lead to tummy pain. A sore mouth will cause a change within the Buns GI function making it slow right down. This will be further exacerbated as the Bun wont eat due to the sore mouth. Previously ingested food will come to a stand-still and gas will build up causing the tummy pain. So yes, Dental problems can present as tummy ache !!

With regards to Metoclopromide. If anyone does have a supply at home I would advise you to be very, very careful about administering it without first consulting a Vet. If the Bun in stasis did have a blockage metoclop' could have very dire and possibly fatal consequences :cry:

The best 'first aid' treatment for a bun in stasis is :

1-Contact Vet
2-Whilst doing so give Bun oral fluids
3- Encourage Bun to hop about
4- If Bun is very 'flat' put him/her on a heatpad

:)

So glad he is feeling better :)
Dental problems can lead to tummy pain. A sore mouth will cause a change within the Buns GI function making it slow right down. This will be further exacerbated as the Bun wont eat due to the sore mouth. Previously ingested food will come to a stand-still and gas will build up causing the tummy pain. So yes, Dental problems can present as tummy ache !!

Thanks Jane, I didn't know this, my previous dental bunny just used to refuse food and bang her feet, so Rudy is obviously more diffiuct to predict (shame yesterday's vet didn't know this either.)

Julia -
How's Gabriel?

Hope he's doing okay too.

Hi there :wave: glad Rudy is ok :D

Gabiel slept on my bed last night and woke me up at 5am :roll: he was thirsty :D so i got him a bowl of water and a also had a few pellets - he pooed all over my bed but hey it was a joy to see !!!! :lol::lol::lol:

My down side is that he and his wifey Daisy have fallen out big time - she kept attacking him while he was lifeless so i had to separate them... tried to get them back together tonight but massive scraps :cry: I currently have them penned off next to each other in my spare room so fingers crossed the lack of free run and getting used to each other should work.... they were bonded for about 2 1/2 years :cry:

Thanks for asking xx

My down side is that he and his wifey Daisy have fallen out big time

.... they were bonded for about 2 1/2 years :cry:

Oh, sorry to hear this, I hope it can be sorted out. Glad to hear his health is better anyway.

Rudy and Tinks have just shared a bowl of Excel pellets, he seems fine, chewing happily, so I don't know what's been going on but vet check tonight confirmed gut sounds and temperature are fine. (Fingers crossed it's not dental)

I think I might just have spent about £100 on him having had a bad reaction to broccoli stump. At least he recovered.

Back