• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Animal Welfare Act

bunniemum

Mama Doe
Did you know that the Animal Welfare Act, states that the feeding of a SMALL quantity of hay or straw in addition to normal diet MAY be beneficial and provide activity for the rabbits.

I only found this out on Friday after having an unsuccessful discussion with a Council Animal Warden, after I phoned him about a pet shop who didn't provide their rabbits with hay. He informed me that if the feed they were giving them states it is nutritionally complete, he can't force them to give their rabbits hay. I'm gobsmacked...

Apart from the advice, that doesn't sound right to me - as far as I was aware the guidance for rabbits hasn't been finalised yet. The RWA have been involved in it and I'm sure they'd have something to say about that if it proves to be the case. I'd get back in contact with the animal warden and ask for a reference to the specific document they are referring to.

Ditto, the Animal Welfare Act makes no reference to specific types of diet for any animal. It's possible specific things like availability of hay may be put in the guidelines for the act but these have not been finalized yet.

I would think it's more likely that's an internal council document where they've written their own guidelines for the staff.

I would challenge it in writing quoting the RWA, RSPCA and any other relevant documentation to support the case for hay being a main part of the diet.

Nutritionally you can get away with not feeding hay. The importance of hay is to wear down the teeth. I'd suggest finding some veterinary/rspca/rwa advice stating that reason for hay.

If you do want to write and need help with wording just ask :D

Ah thanks for that guys. I must admit I have been mulling it over since Friday, and was thinking of emailing him back for more clarification, as I wasn't entirely happy with his response on this and another matter.

If you're not happy with his reponse, email his superior in as well, he may be more motivated to look into it properly if he knows his boss is watching his response ;) You can just ring up to find out who the team manager is if you can't find the info online.

Back