• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

symptoms? update

Radish

Mama Doe
if you were presented with a rabbit which had redness and swelling around its eyes and slight discharge and also redness and swelling around it's nose and some discharge...what would you think was wrong?

i don't have pics as not my bun and cannot be too specific as bun has seen vets but i think bun looks like it has myxo and one vet agrees but other vet is adamant that bun just has respiratory infection....i think they are wrong and not giving bunny best chance if only treating as resp prob....what do you think?

bun looks like many of pics i've seen on here and plenty of myxo buns i have seen at vets...i can't get bunny out of ,my head as i think he's not going to get right treatment.

your thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:
we looked at the genitals and two of us thought they looked slightly swollen but there didn't seem to be the redness so the other one said they weren't at all swollen but to me that's not necessarily meaning it's not myxo since the genitals could become progressively swollen after a few days surely?

we looked at the genitals and two of us thought they looked slightly swollen but there didn't seem to be the redness so the other one said they weren't at all swollen but to me that's not necessarily meaning it's not myxo since the genitals could become progressively swollen after a few days surely?

I would have thought that for the nose to be swollen the genitals would be swollen too (remember: it's a method of pest control), but they might take a bit longer to swell...

sorry not quite understanding what you mean, to me the eyes/nose and genitals will all become swollen but not usually all at once, it does tend to start somewhere rather than in all locations...also yep i know it was introduced as a form of pest control but i'm still not getting how that means the genitals should be swollen at exactly the same time sorry:oops:

just to add the rabbit in question had its myxo vacc a year ago:roll:

Whatever is causing the swelling wont target one area, and then the next; it will target the body as a whole - causing swelling where it has been designed to.

When the genitals swell, the animal is unable to reproduce; when the nose becomes swollen it is unable to breathe & eat properly - it's my understanding that you want to stop the animal being able to reproduce (certainly bucks) before you stop it from being able to breathe (and eat) properly, and thus killing it.

If the Rabbit has a snotty nose and gunky eyes it could well be a RTI.
These symptoms tend to present further along the line in the course of Myxo-about 9 days post infection. The first symptoms being the swollen eyes/nose/genitals/ears/skin nodules

Even if it is Myxo the treatment would be much the same as for an RTI-antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, topical abx eye treatment, gut motility meds if required, supportive feeding/hydration if required.

Hopefully it is not Myxo and the Bun will respond well to the treatment for his/her RTI

:)

ok thanks...would the eyes been swollen with an RTI because they are very red and swollen.

I'm still puzzled by the claim that myxo makes everything swell at once because even at the vets i've handled myxo buns which haven't had all their bits swollen and yet they have swelled progressively over a few days unless all i see is a different strain of myxo:?

also if it is swelling of mucus membranes it can still progress from area to area eventually being all membranes surely????

not trying to be difficult just trying to understand what i have seen.

ok thanks...would the eyes been swollen with an RTI because they are very red and swollen.

I'm still puzzled by the claim that myxo makes everything swell at once because even at the vets i've handled myxo buns which haven't had all their bits swollen and yet they have swelled progressively over a few days unless all i see is a different strain of myxo:?

also if it is swelling of mucus membranes it can still progress from area to area eventually being all membranes surely????

not trying to be difficult just trying to understand what i have seen.

Yes, the eyelids can become extremely swollen when there is a severe conjunctivitis as can occur with a RTI.

The first Myxo skin lesion will be at the site of infection with the virus. There may be swollen lymph nodes near the site too. Eyelid swelling tends to occur after about 9 days as does the swollen genitals. The Respiratory tract symptoms are not actually due to the Myxoma Virus but to a secondary bacterial infection. Hence the abx are needed even though Myxo is a virus (abx are ineffective against viruses as you probably know)

Back