• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Simbas appearance is changing

Hopper

Mama Doe
Simba is changing. His maine is beoming thinner and there for not getting as matted (great news for me lol) his fur is starting to change colour also and bits of brown is mingling in. On his nose, between eyes he is growing a longer tuft of fur. Will this grow long as i cant imagine him having a long peice of fur growing off his nose lol.

Is fur thinning normal? Im not sure if i should be worrying or not? He body fur is fine, lovely and soft and shiney.

Charlie was a proper lionhead when he was younger, and as he got older and went more lop his mane thinned out and is easy to care for now. It's just as the lop in Charlie has developed

It sounds like he is having a regular moult :) The colour of the fur will generally be darker as they moult (the old fur has been sun bleached). Also, it is common for lionheads to lose/change their manes when they moult (although it doesn't always happen).

Ahh right. I wasnt sure if it was a moult, I thought he was losing his fur with me doing something wrong :oops:

Will the mane grow thicker again?

Does there fur go sun bleached when there in door buns then?

It may not thicken again, but it might, it's an unknown, although if you happen to know what happened to the parents when they moulted, that would give you a clue.

I don't know about indoor buns, to be honest. The colour difference is less on my indoor buns but still noticeable. Maybe its to do with the type and thickness of fur?

Charlies thinned out as he got to about 4 months old and hasn't been any different at all in the past 2 months, he got darker too, he used to be more white and grey and now the blacks spread more, especially his face is darker

Ahh ok. When i had an angora he never thinned out but constantly thickened up so new to this lol.

Will ask about parents when they moult, thanks :)

Lionheads are still pretty unstandardised and some buns will keep their mane, some will lose their skirt (if they have one), some seem to thicken, some seem to thin, or lose all hint of lionhead, but it seems to be a genetic issue, hence why I mentioned the parents :)

Lionheads are still pretty unstandardised and some buns will keep their mane, some will lose their skirt (if they have one), some seem to thicken, some seem to thin, or lose all hint of lionhead, but it seems to be a genetic issue, hence why I mentioned the parents :)

Ahh ok. I asked Lillian as thats where they came from and she said mum moulted and her mane stayed thin after, so im guessing he will take after mum :) yeh his skirt has almost gone also. Dreama never really had much of a mane and hers has stayed the same so far.

Here's Simba's mum Roo when she was little
935d9148.jpg

59258b63.jpg

7747e80c.jpg

She took awhile to get her mane, it got really big and fluffy then she moulted in the summer and pulled fur out to make her nest for the babies. The fur grew back but not as thick or long. Now she looks like this..

(With Honey Simba's sister)
honeyroowinniehildabetty004.jpg

Back