• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ok baby questions?

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Please feel free to talk to my like I am stupid, because I haven't got the first idea.

Am I ok to split Mom from them? After her check tomorrow as long as she's not pregnant, I will be booking her in for a neuter on Friday along with Daddy, so they can go back together on the weekend, but need to know if it's ok to split her come Friday?

If one of the babies is a boy (i'll find out tomorrow) I assume I need to split him straight away?

Am I feeding them unlimted food? The person I got them from has given me a box of cocopops, as that was what they were eating (seriously :shock:) I put them on a&p and they ate the whole bowl. I also gave them veggies last night and they liked them.

When can they have their myx vac?

Mom has a bit of a gunky eye :?, I did worry she had myx, but I imagine it's her teeth from the cocopops, I checked her bits and they look fine.

Anything I need to know that can be added?

Mom and babies are out in the run, but I haven't put Dad out in the other as there are some rather scary looking spiders in it, but Sweep goes to his new home today, so Dad can have that hutch and run for the time being.

Hopefully next weekend I can get Gnasher bonded and the babies can then have the shed, so they can have 24 access to a run.

If one is a boy, Lucky goes to his new home next week, so he can have that.

Phew my head is full of things to do :lol::lol::lol:

Any help is much appreciated, like I say don;t assume I know it? :D

:lol: Yep, you can seperate from 8 weeks. Taking mum out and leaving babies is current accommodation is least stressful but shouldn't make a big difference if your swapping buns around to make room.

As long as they munch hay then unlimited food at this age is fine. If you find that they just eat pellets and ignore the hay then cut back otherwise they'll get in bad habits.

As your not sure about age then yes splitting the boy out is probably the best way to go. He'll be lonely on his own though so give him a teddy :)

Myxi vaccs can be given from 6 weeks so the babies should definately be okay with that.

I would bathe mums eye with cooled boiled water with a pinch of salt in.

Spiders don't eat rabbits so it's fine to let dad out in the run ;)

:wave:
OMG i can't believe they were being fed on coco pops, glad you have rescued them at least they will be safe and fed properly now

Coco pops :shock::shock::shock::shock:
Why on earth?
Anyway, hope they continue to thrive under your care.

:lol: Yep, you can seperate from 8 weeks. Taking mum out and leaving babies is current accommodation is least stressful but shouldn't make a big difference if your swapping buns around to make room.

As long as they munch hay then unlimited food at this age is fine. If you find that they just eat pellets and ignore the hay then cut back otherwise they'll get in bad habits.

As your not sure about age then yes splitting the boy out is probably the best way to go. He'll be lonely on his own though so give him a teddy :)

Myxi vaccs can be given from 6 weeks so the babies should definately be okay with that.

I would bathe mums eye with cooled boiled water with a pinch of salt in.

Spiders don't eat rabbits so it's fine to let dad out in the run ;)

I am scared of spiders :oops::oops: so is Bryn and Ste :lol::lol:

Daddy is in a proper hutch with run now, so he's sorted :D

Awwwww poor boy baby, I will sort out one of the longer hutches and put in a mesh divide so he doesn't get lonely, he loves his sibblings :(

Cool, what I will do is when Mom and Dad go for their neuter is they can recover together in the house, leaving babies together, oh cricky my head is going to explode :lol:, I have given them loads of food.

Thanks Tamsin :D

Coco pops :shock::shock::shock::shock:
Why on earth?
Anyway, hope they continue to thrive under your care.

Yeah, they have been on coco pops, I always ask for some food to start mixing it into what I give, I never bothered mixing the coco pops :shock:

I don't want to repeat whats already been said, but yes, you can split now and I would also split boys from girls if there are any boys. You can leave the girls with mom if that makes the space issues easier.
Our young ones that got pregnant got caught at 12 weeks, so it can happen earlier than you may think!
You know where we are if you need any extra help or advice (we have loads of blinkin babies in at the moment :?)

Thanks Lucy, they're going to vets tomorrow to get sexed properly, I am not good at sexing they could all be girls yet, or perhaps all boys :oops::oops:. I have space to split them all though, so that's cool :thumb:, I am useless :oops::lol::lol::lol: last time I sexed babies I got it wrong, deffo no boy bits, so if vet says one is a boy I can get him out :D

cocopops!!!!

:shock: what is wrong with some people??!!!
Glad you have rescued them.
Sorry can't answer any of your questions but wish you luck with the little ones :love:

Are the babies still feeding from mum?

As most vets like them to have a couple of weeks free from the babies before neutering so that the milk can dry up properly and they have chance to rest and put some condition back on.

No they seem to be eating hard food and veg, but then again I don't know if they're still having some when I'm not looking. Thanks Tracey, yeah I never thought of that. When I had Dumpling in she was milking, she hadn't had babies, but extreme cancer and that poly-thingy and all lumps in her nipples. My vet removed the cancer (uterine), but would not remove consider removing the lumps in her nipple he said while they're milking the blood vessels are very senstive and she risked bleeding to death in the op. It was a good call though, as with the abx cleared up most of her problems. I am not even good at seeing if there is milk, but I have rang vets Mom and babies are in at 6.15 tonight, so will know more then

Thanks mate, I remember trying to sex buzz, I got that wrong didn't I :oops::lol:, at least I will know what sexes they are for sure later :love:

Back