• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor bun ideas

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
What is the best indoor cage to get for 2 buns?
or if not cages, what other ways is there of accomadating them indoorrs?

i have large dog crates for my two house buns... currently they are seperate but soon enough they will be living together... whilst its winter they will be in a large crate free range access, but after that they will move outside into thier hutch x

I would always say NIC cubes because they can make amazing houses. They are really wireless storage grids and can be assembled to work as a good cage.

Mine used to have a 48" dog crate with a playpen attached :D Im lucky now as i have a spare bedroom so i have put lino on the floor and they have the whole room, no cage required ;)

Mine used to have a 48" dog crate with a playpen attached :D Im lucky now as i have a spare bedroom so i have put lino on the floor and they have the whole room, no cage required ;)

Id love to do that but I don't have the space for it :(
I was thinking of Nero4, but I want to get another bun as well soon for company for him and don't know if it is big enough, or if a large dog crate with no extra run would be big enough?

i have connected two pens from pets at home together with half of the cage having b&q grids as a roof. a net over the top stops escape :)

i find the pens are 100000000% easier to clean and travel with than a dog crate, no more trying to reach in thro the door its all open plan and its a lot lighter too for when it has to go in the car

i have large dog crates for my two house buns... currently they are seperate but soon enough they will be living together... whilst its winter they will be in a large crate free range access, but after that they will move outside into thier hutch x

Blue was supposed to move outside in March!! Thats why he has an 'outside' hutch.

So am I right in thinking the biggest dog crate I can get would be the best idea for him? and maybe trying to add some platforms higher up so he has a big of extra space to go into?

What breed do you have/looking to get? Some bigger buns are not so good at ramps and shelves can be difficult to put up so they can hold the weight if its a bigger bun. Blues a frenchie x and weighs in at 5.2k so he's the only thing i can go by as hes my first bun. would probably be ok for smaller buns though.

He's a lionhead lop, so he's not tiny but not huge, and hoping to get a female that would be about his size

Sounds like a plan then batman! Can't really give any proper advise though, as I said, I've only had 1 bun and hes a bit of a fattie! :lol:

And if I rescue a female, will having a dog crate be okay for them to allow me another rabbit?

that will depend on the rescue hun, when we went to hopper haven and i said i had a dog crate i got frowned at until i quickly added it had a pen attached to it. i dont think id have passed without the pen too.

not really space for extra bit though :( but during most of the day I leave cage open so Charlie has free run of my bedroom anyway from somewhere between 12 and 4 until 12pm, or whenever he wants to go back in the cage on his own.

i think youll need to talk direct to rescues then hun.. they will tell you exactly what they expect.. i cant tell you anymore than a crate alone would have failed where i got pearl from but that was the only rescue i tried so i dont know if it would have passed at another place :D

Please get in touch with the rescue you want to rehome from and ask them. It is the best way forward then you can't get the wrong thing.

If you use NIC grids it can take up the floor space of, say, a dog crate, but go up much higher, or it can be shaped to fit into whatever space you want it to. Just an additional though :)

Back