• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molly has a dried scab on her U/D healing well

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

I've only just found it, so I feel like a bad bunny mummy for not finding it sooner. It's about 1cm in diameter, and it is a clot of dried blood, so basically a scab. It's on her chest, between her front legs. I think Milly must have bitten her, as it's round like teeth taking a chunk out, and Molly is a kicker so Milly could have bitten underneath her. I haven't found any blood recently though, so I don't know where the blood would have gone. It looks like it would have bled a lot, but looks a few days old. Molly hasn't acted any differently, eaten and drunk the same. They are going to the vet next week, so if it's still there by then, I'll just get the vet to have a quick look. :(:( Poor little Molly :(

Don't feel bad. Even if you know there has been an altercation it can be hard to find wounds until they scab over because often even things look like they would bleed a lot, they do bleed minimally.

You need to check them both for any other scabs because if there is one the chances are there are more.

There is a high chance of it becoming infected because of the germs buns have in their mouth and under their nails. That means you need to watch for signs of infections, so heat, sore to the touch, red, etc. It might be worth bathing the wound anyway just to be on the safe side (and any other wounds).

It looked black (like dark, dried blood), and she didn't flinch at all when I touched it, so it can't hurt too much. I'll check them all over tomorrow. They do chase each other around (usually Milly chases Molly) when they are waiting for their breakfast, or if they feel in danger.

My ones used to have it when they try to kill ea. other. Jane told me if the wound looks fresh and the muscle is not dead, then there is no concern on infection & let it be

Bite wounds, unless they nick an artery, can often be relatively bloodless. They're nothing like the pour you get from cutting a nail short.

If it's dried over and their is no lump or inflamed skin around it then just check it daily as it heals. If there is a lump under it, it weeps or your worried at all then get a vet check.

Tam

I've had a proper look at it today, and I was mistaken. It is actually two wounds side by side (like a bite wound, two holes for the upper and lower teeth). It's slightly raised on one wound and pink, whilst the other is scabby, so I suppose one of the teeth went in and the other just bruised it. She's going to vets on tuesday for myxi vacc, so will get the vet to check that it's all ok. Molly shows no discomfort to it being touched or anything, and she's eating properly.

The fact one is raised and pink means that possibly it is infected, or an infection is starting. I would suggest, at the minimum bathing it, and if she gets worse, she will need the vets and anti biotics, so if you notice she gets worse before Tuesday please think about getting her checked out :)

If she does appear bad, I'll take her to the vet before Tuesday. But I did first find it about a week ago (and even then it was clearly a fairly old wound), so would it really take this long for infection to set in? Wouldn't it only take a few days?

Took her to the vet for her myxi vacc (got it right this time :roll:), and showed the vet her wound. He said it's fine and it's healing well. :D

Back