• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

grinding teeth?

AprilLynne

Warren Scout
William's been grinding his teeth a bit lately... I'm not quite sure what that means. :? He's been to the vet for a checkup recently and everything checked out fine as far as his teeth. He had his neuter on Tuesday and is taking metacam for that. (he also scratched his ear a tiny bit this morning so I put some antibiotic creme on it). I'd read teeth grinding could be from dental problems or from general pain, but I don't think he has either

He seemed quite content while he was grinding them - I stroked his nose and he went "chomp chomp chomp chomp" as he was getting settled into his favorate snuggle position. Then kept up "chomp chomp chomp" while his eyes closed and he finally flopped over. :lol::lol::lol: He doesn't seem to feel poorly at all, eats sleeps and plays as normal. And doesn't grind his teeth when he's upset - I slid down the stairs on my bum last night :shock: and he looked at me sitting on the steps and thumped his feet twice! but no grinding!

Rabbits use their teeth quite a bit for communication. A proper grinding (sounds like when a person grinds their teeth) is pain, however a general 'chuntering' of their teeth when being stroked or happy can be seen as a 'bunny purr'. My Badger does this and it feels and sounds horrid, but he is happy as larry. Maybe that's what you are hearing?

Rabbits grind there teeth when there in pain,but also sometimes when there happy and content Claude used to do it when i stroked either side of his head with my hand,Its more of a soft grind

Teteh grinding is normally a sign of pain, but it your bun is doing it while enjoying a cuddle/ head rub it's because they're enjoying it, a bit like a pur of a cat :D

Rabbits use their teeth quite a bit for communication. A proper grinding (sounds like when a person grinds their teeth) is pain, however a general 'chuntering' of their teeth when being stroked or happy can be seen as a 'bunny purr'. My Badger does this and it feels and sounds horrid, but he is happy as larry. Maybe that's what you are hearing?

That might be it... it doesn't sound much like a grind. It looks a bit like he's chewing cud like a cow!

There's another type of teeth grinding which isn't pain, sometimes referred to as "tooth purring", it sound like that is what your bunny is doing. Mine often do it when getting nose rubs or fuss generally. As it's followed by a 'happy flop' it does sound like the purring version.

Back