• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you call this bonding? (Pictures) u/d 20th oct - Tila may soon have a wife!!

Banni Binky

Warren Scout
I have never bonded animals apart from our cats and dogs. And as they are different to bunnies and piggies, I not sure whether today can be classed as (the beginning of?) bonding, or just sheer tolerance.

When we first got Gingersnap, Tila was mighty territorial, and still is. He will not tolerate her within the boundaries of his hutch, in fact he attacks her. Although he's quite happy to sit and chat to her through the bars of their hutches.

So because I want them both to have exercise, and not only is it a health risk for Tila with cars in the yard, but it's also frustrating after 2 hours of trying to coax him back into his hutch before it gets dark, and Gingersnap is too little to leave on her own, Damian (my other half) and I built a (temporary!) run of stakes and chicken wire. There will be a much sturdier and secure one at a later date - but today they were supervised at all times.

So I hoped that being on neutral territory, they would each choose their corner under the shadecloth and let each other alone if they didn't want to play nice. But instead the opposite happened, after Tila spent the first 15 minutes pacing the wire, trying to push his way through every little gap. Only his paws and nose fit through :lol:

They both layed side by side, and began to investigate eachother. They sniffed noses, and various other places. Gingersnap squiggled and squeaked at him, Tila twitched his nose at her. And then Gingersnap began to groom Tila!! She nibbled his ears, his fur, everywhere! And he just lay there enjoying the attention. They even shared an ice pack!

Is that bonding, tolerance, or dominant-subordinant beaviour? I was so glad that they got along today, and I am equally proud of them both. Tila is my little bully, and Ginger is a biter :roll: They make a good pair it seems :lol:

What are some thoughts from people who know something about bonding?

S7300746.jpg
Nibbling his ears

S7300748.jpg

S7300751.jpg
More grooming

Last edited:
Oh? They are housed seperately.

We asked our vet before getting Gingersnap, they didn't mention any issues other than possible territory, which we have sorted...

Have a search on here. I know nothing about guinea pigs but know there are food issues, health issues, as well as a big rabbit can kill a small guinea pig with a kick and also guinesa can bite rabbits etc...

Hopefully someone can offer more advice soon.

please do not bond them at all or let them run in the same area they can pass disease to each other and injur one another or rather rabbit injur g.pig they have different dietry needs too please dont do it. instead upgrade accomodation and allow each to have a freind of their own species x

Food issues? They both eat exactly the same stuff. I didn't know there were specifics for rabbits and guinea pigs - here pellet mix is sold as a combined mixture for rabbits and/or guinea pigs :?

And what health issues?

I feel like I'm being a bad pet owner now, thought they could be friends but it turns out I was being anything but nice :(

Edit: We are planning on upgrading accomodation, but unsure if we can take on another 2 pets. We alreadyhave 4 cats, 3 dogs, Tila and Ginger, a snake and 2 praying mantis. Mum and Dad, nor the landlords, will allow more.

Last edited:
Oh, I see...

I knew about the whole Vit. C thing. Ginger gets vitamin supplement in her water..

But the other stuff I didn't... I'm sorry if I offended anyone by doing this, it wont happen again :oops:

Hi:wave: Welcome to the forum. You haven't offended anyone:) It used to be common practice to house piggies and bunnies together, but recent research has shown it to be problematic not only from the dietary aspect but also socially, as they have totally different ways of communication and therefore can't interact as same species pairs will. It might be worth having a think about possibly gettting another rabbit and piggy for company as 2 rabbits create the same amount of work as having just one by itself. Male/female pairs work best.If you decide to go for it get them both neutered before you do the bonding. Please keep posting pics, and let us know what you decide to do

Hello, Welcome.
Glad to hear they are housed separately.
But please please please and i only stress this having gone through it myself dont allow them to play together.
It ends in diaster.

Btw there both stunning!!

xx

Okay. So after having talk with my mum, (It wasn't had to convince her. All I have to say is 'better for his wellbeing' and she agrees. Who can guess where I got my attraction to animals from? Hahaha) I have decided to get a doe for Tila. The only but is it has to wait until his new house has been built - his current one is a definite not big enough for two apartment.

Although I made it clear to her, no matter how much adoption fees cost - I will be rescuing 'her' (whoever she may be) from the RSPCA or a shelter. No more pet shop bunnies. =]. Also, adoption fee usually includes spaying - bonus for me as it's already been over and done with and they'll be ready to bond straight away.

Although, I have seen this poor lonely bunny at the pet shop a few weeks running, nobody wants it coz the right ear flops over the top of its head onto the left side... That 'defect' made me want it more! :love: I have a soft spot for imperfections in animals. But as I haven't been past the pet shop in 2 weeks, I don't know if it's still there or if it is male or female. I hope somebody loving adopted it =[.

So yes. I am going to be on the lookout for some adoptables in my area. Pity I'm continents away, or I would have adopted from someone on here :roll:

Any suggestions on how to begin the bonding process when I do get 'her'? I want to do it right and not make them estranged.. I'm a little worried about Tila's territoriality, but that shouldn't be so bad ifthey are moved into the new, bigger hutch at the same time should it? That way it starts off as neutral territory, right?

Okay. So after having talk with my mum, (It wasn't had to convince her. All I have to say is 'better for his wellbeing' and she agrees. Who can guess where I got my attraction to animals from? Hahaha) I have decided to get a doe for Tila. The only but is it has to wait until his new house has been built - his current one is a definite not big enough for two apartment.

Although I made it clear to her, no matter how much adoption fees cost - I will be rescuing 'her' (whoever she may be) from the RSPCA or a shelter. No more pet shop bunnies. =]. Also, adoption fee usually includes spaying - bonus for me as it's already been over and done with and they'll be ready to bond straight away.

Although, I have seen this poor lonely bunny at the pet shop a few weeks running, nobody wants it coz the right ear flops over the top of its head onto the left side... That 'defect' made me want it more! :love: I have a soft spot for imperfections in animals. But as I haven't been past the pet shop in 2 weeks, I don't know if it's still there or if it is male or female. I hope somebody loving adopted it =[.

So yes. I am going to be on the lookout for some adoptables in my area. Pity I'm continents away, or I would have adopted from someone on here :roll:

Any suggestions on how to begin the bonding process when I do get 'her'? I want to do it right and not make them estranged.. I'm a little worried about Tila's territoriality, but that shouldn't be so bad ifthey are moved into the new, bigger hutch at the same time should it? That way it starts off as neutral territory, right?

its all good we are all learnign! :)no offence btw was taken we jsut want to help :)
great you are thinking of taking in an adoption bun. i dont know if you are in uk if you are then there are lots of buns in rabbit rehome that are in various locations.
to bond rabbits(im not sure about g.pigs though many on here would know. you will need a small neutral area... this will need to be white vinegared (everything) so it doesnt smell like anyone. then both buns should be introduced in this area.. .adn basically left to it but with you watching them. now fur pulling and humping and also chasing are normal and should be allowed fighting and locking on are bad..feet stomping is also allowed. if they do fight then seperate to opposite sides of the area but so can still see and smell each other. rescues over here will allow speed dating to allow your bun to pick its partner and many will also bond for you. this usually takes around 3-5 dayas and dont seperate them especially overnight. it can be aided by putting both in a carirer adn going for a short car ride..say 10 mins as they are both ab it scared and will snuggle too. there are more indepth bits on bonding on here but thats the basics oh and your buns hould also be neutered prior to bonding :)

Tila is already neutered :) Got that done when he was around 6 or 7 months old. And I will hopefully rescue a pre-spayed doe, although if not she'll be spayed before meeting Tila. I live in Australia, not many shelters here house rabbits sadly, none that I've found yet anyway. Cats and dogs are dime a dozen =[. Its so sad to see all those lonely animals with those 'love me, pleeease' eyes.

I'll still be on the lookout though, even though it won't be for at least another few weeks until I'm ready to think about adopting.

Back