• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Somethings wrong with Bugs *pics* U/D seen vet

Lillian

Warren Veteran
(This maybe meant to be in the care section :? i'm not sure but i need some help asap)

As the title says something is wrong with Bugs. Two days ago I noticed one side of his face was wet, I brought him indoors for me and my mum to look at him. My mum said she thought he’d been laying against his water bottle. So we dried him off and put him back in his hutch. Yesterday my mum noticed his face was wet on the same side again. Then this morning she told me he is the same today. My mum is in bed because she is very ill today. I got Bugs out to look at him, I cannot find anything else wrong with him. He hasn’t lost weight or has another symptoms so far, but his face does smell bad.. its not a strong smell just not a very nice one. Does anybody have a clue what could be wrong with him? Is there anything I need to look out for?

Bugsfacepics005.jpg

Bugsfacepics002.jpg

Bugsfacepics007.jpg

His normal side
Bugsfacepics006.jpg

Any help/advice please as i have nobody at home who can help. Thank you!

Last edited:
is the wetness coming from his eye?

personally hun id get him looked at by a vet people on here can advise but cant diagnose sadly.

sending him vibes

is the wetness coming from his eye?

personally hun id get him looked at by a vet people on here can advise but cant diagnose sadly.

sending him vibes

I think it is from his mouth because he's damp under his chin too :?
Our vets aren't open until monday morning, so i'm hoping people on here can tell me if they suspect something serious, if he needs to see a vet asap then obviously i'll see what i can do.. but without my parents help at the moment i don't know what to do. I need to know if i need to clean his face? If so with what?? or just dry it? Grr :(

Poor bugs! Sending vibes x x one of mine gets wet under his chin when his teeth need doing. Have to admit i've never smelt it though! ;-) :-S is he eating and pooing like normal?

if under his mouth its likely to be teeth problems some of which can only be determined by x rays... if from his cheek and its swollen then possibly an abcess(which explains the smell) and also could be weeping tear duct which could be tooth problems blocked tear duct or an eye infection.... is it salty? if yes then likely tear duct.wash his face getnly with warm water as if it is a salty build up the fur can be eroded away and cause a nasty sore patch(you will often find the inner paws need wiping too where they have been used to wash his face) regardles i think its important for him to see a rabbit savvy vet asap x

If it smells funny then it is most likely saliva caused by dental problems. I would get him seem asap as he is likely to be in pain.

The other possibility is that it is water but this would not cause a smell. Is he drinking lots? If so a blood test for his kidneys may be an option, but personally from what you have described I would think it is a dental problem

I would definately get your bunny to an emergency vet today if possible. As said above, it is likely he is in pain if abcess or teeth problems.

Sending get well vibes x

The smell is indicative of infection such as an abcess. As others have said, you need to get to a vet today. If an abcess, treatment needs to be started straight away.
Good luck xx

If it's saliva he could also have a fungal infection on the area that has been wet, to add to the probable dental problems.

How is he?

I have seen this exact case before w/ my bridge bun Goofball. It's her teeth that is messed up inside (some kind of dental problem) and it causes drooling to leak out to the cheek. It cannot be the eyes because there is no way there is that much tear from a rabbit. So I'm 100% sure it's the teeth.

Get your bun to a rabbit savvy vet to sort out whatever dental problem he has

Hes wet both sides today, theres nothing wrong with his face so the vets are going to take him in wednesday and possibly put him to sleep to check all the inside of his mouth etc. My mum is calling the vet again tomorrow to discuss it with them and he may go earlier if they think he needs to. He has started eating weird as well now :? so most likely dental problems :( But he is still pooing/peeing/drinking normally/eating and is his normal self at the moment.

Unfortunately it does sound like dental problems. As he is wet on both sides now and eating funny it is obviously getting worse. If you can, try to get him in at the vets for a dental before Wednesday. If this really isn't possible I would ask your Mum to ask the vet tomorrow for some pain relief for him that you can collect and give to him until he has his dental on Wednesday :)

I would ask your Mum to ask the vet tomorrow for some pain relief for him that you can collect and give to him until he has his dental on Wednesday

Yes. I agree with that and that is SO important because otherwise by Wednesday he might be in a bad way and be less likely to come through the anaesthetic, whereas if he has pain meds he will hopefully keep eating which should give him all the very best chances :)

The vet said his face is infected, he needs his fur clipped and cream put on. He also needs a dental. He's been given anti biotics and a pain killer until wednesday morning. But this is really bad :( We've only had one dental bun before, my greg and he had to be put to sleep last year at 18 months old.. Bugs is 15 months. When my mum told my dad how much Bugs treatment cost and how much the dental will cost he said better off getting him PTS :shock::cry:

I am paying for the treatment this time but i can't keep paying for dentals if he needs regular ones. What can i do to help prevent them? I'm really worried :cry:

Poor Bugs, it does sound nasty. I'm glad he has some pain relief now and hopefully the antibiotics will help too.

What sort of diet does Bugs have? plenty of high fibre food like hays and grass are the best to reduce dental problems.

I hope the dental goes well for him on Wednesday, keep us updated :)

Poor Bugs, it does sound nasty. I'm glad he has some pain relief now and hopefully the antibiotics will help too.

What sort of diet does Bugs have? plenty of high fibre food like hays and grass are the best to reduce dental problems.

I hope the dental goes well for him on Wednesday, keep us updated :)

Thank you. He gets plenty of hay, and usually gets grass too. I don't know what hay my parents get for him, is there any that are particularly good for his teeth? While i have money i want to stock up on whatever he may need.

Back