• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent, bunny fit??? :S

Vix

Alpha Buck
My old boy, leo just had some kind of weird fit thing, or at least thats what it looked like to me :?

He was on his back and flicking all around, it basically looked like he was trying to chew his back is the only way i can describe it but was flailing around all over the place i picked him up and he carried on doing it, he seemed really disorientated, it went on for about 2 to 3 minutes which might not sounds long but felt like an eternity.

Hes now absolutely fine again :?

He went to the vets at the beginning of the week and is on baytril but thats to try and help with his mucky bum which appears to be fine now anyway.

Does anyone have any idea whats going on? If i take him to the vets they will just say he seems fine and to monitor him because obviously at the moment he is absolutely fine again.

Hi

It does sound like a fit to me, poor Leo. I would start him on a course of Panacur for 6 weeks as it may well be caused by E Cuniculi.

I would continue with the baytril incase it is related to an infection.

When is he next being checked by the vet? If it isn't too long to wait and he doesn't fit again I would wait and speak to the vet at the next appointment to avoid stressing Leo with more visits. But if it happens again I would get him checked asap.

Hope this helps :)

My old boy, leo just had some kind of weird fit thing, or at least thats what it looked like to me :?

He was on his back and flicking all around, it basically looked like he was trying to chew his back is the only way i can describe it but was flailing around all over the place i picked him up and he carried on doing it, he seemed really disorientated, it went on for about 2 to 3 minutes which might not sounds long but felt like an eternity.

Hes now absolutely fine again :?

He went to the vets at the beginning of the week and is on baytril but thats to try and help with his mucky bum which appears to be fine now anyway.

Does anyone have any idea whats going on? If i take him to the vets they will just say he seems fine and to monitor him because obviously at the moment he is absolutely fine again.

If he has had a seizure there are many possible causes including EC or a CVA (stroke)
I would contact your Vet for advice as Leo may well need additional treatment such as Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole) and an anti-inflammatory.
Your Vet should also do a neurological examination to check Leo's pupil responses and reflexes.

What dose of Baytril is he on? Enrofloxacin (Baytril) can lower the seizure threshold so if Leo had an undiagnosed seizure disorder I guess its possible a high dose of Baytril may trigger a fit :?

Thankyou yes that does help it really did seem like a fit to me, but maybe because he's old he had an itch, fell on his back and couldn't get up again? But then surely when i picked him up he would've stopped, this is why i think its more likely some form of a fit.

They did both have a full course of lapizole, i can't remember exactly when a few months ago maybe :? How long is it effective for once they've been treated?:?

ok thankyou :) It wasn't the 9 day course though because he had suspected E.C as he had developed a slight head tilt so he had the full course, can they have two of the full course.

I'm reluctant to ring the vet as the one i like seems to have disapppeared and i get this other girl who advised me to seperate them to put muffin on a diet :?

She also said "if he seems fine after the course of baytril you don't need to bother bringing him back" She just seems to fob me off constantly :(

She wouldn't do a dental on him this time either because "hes still eating" surely prevention is better than cure my usual vet would've done this.

I also asked them to trim his fur whilst he was there and got told that it would cost me so to try and do it myself first.

It just feels like shes fed up of me going and tbh im fed up of going myself because she never seems to take me seriously.

I wish my normal vet would come back from wherever shes gone :(

ok thankyou :) It wasn't the 9 day course though because he had suspected E.C as he had developed a slight head tilt so he had the full course, can they have two of the full course.

I'm reluctant to ring the vet as the one i like seems to have disapppeared and i get this other girl who advised me to seperate them to put muffin on a diet :?

She also said "if he seems fine after the course of baytril you don't need to bother bringing him back" She just seems to fob me off constantly :(

She wouldn't do a dental on him this time either because "hes still eating" surely prevention is better than cure my usual vet would've done this.

I also asked them to trim his fur whilst he was there and got told that it would cost me so to try and do it myself first.

It just feels like shes fed up of me going and tbh im fed up of going myself because she never seems to take me seriously.

I wish my normal vet would come back from wherever shes gone :(

As he has a history of 'active EC'- (what symptoms did he have?) then I would give him another 28 day course of Lapizole. Any in contact Rabbits need treating too.

However, I do believe it is important to seek professional advice too. Its impossible to be sure of what is going on for Leo without examining him.

I'm sorry to hear about Leo.

I understand your troubles with your vet - one of mine is brilliant but the locum there is absolutely useless with bunnies and it's a worry in the back of my mind if ever I do need to see a vet in an emergency. Could you speak to the receptionist and see if there are any other vets there that maybe know a bit more about bunnies?

Thanks all :)

I will ring the vets and see when my usual vet is back if it isn't too long to wait then ill go see her if not ill just have to take my chances with the other one :?

Thankfully he seems fine in himself now :) But i do need the vets to examine him properly.

Its just scary as i did have a french lop who at roughly 18 months old had a seizure and just passed away in my arms, he had been perfectly fine up until this point :cry:

I feel like im cursed at the moment tbh, its understandable when you have a large number of rabbits but i only have two :oops:

Where are you vix? Maybe someone could recommend an alternative vet that could give you some advice or see your bun? Sending vibes x

My sister in laws rabbit has started having fits as well and they sound very similar to the ones your poor rabbit is having. She took thumper to the vets and they told her that it was epilitic ( not sure of spelling!!) fits that he was having and there is medication that can be giving to rabbits, but because of thumpers age they arent too keen on giving him it. So she has been told to monitor how often he has the fits and how quickly he recovers after having one.

My sister in laws rabbit has started having fits as well and they sound very similar to the ones your poor rabbit is having. She took thumper to the vets and they told her that it was epilitic ( not sure of spelling!!) fits that he was having and there is medication that can be giving to rabbits, but because of thumpers age they arent too keen on giving him it. So she has been told to monitor how often he has the fits and how quickly he recovers after having one.

Thankyou for this im worried it might be something like epilepsy as well and he is an old bun i am monitoring him and working with the vets to sort something out he had another one last night :cry:

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by all his problems at the moment if thats the right word :? Nothing the vets or i seem to do makes much difference :(

Back