• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

space for rescue rabbits

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
A bit upset tonight / this week.

I have been enquiring about rescue buns. I keep hitting a brick wall. I don't have a 6ftx2ftx2ft hutch.

Instead I have Charlies old hutch and run plus the out house which I joined for him which equates to 88 sq ft of space, with about half of that being indoor, undercover, shed type space.

I understand that for the most part people on here (from rescues) are following the rules set out by the rescue's board and the people who work have little or no say.

But I feel that there should be some leeway, to make exceptions to those rules. My understanding of the 6ft rule is so the rabbits like Benji (Chipmunk_k's latest (the last time I checked)addition), don't end up in three ft hutches, not for cases like this where a rescue bun is being offered the chance of a forever home with plenty of space love and care.

Sorry rant over

Do you want to adopt a new bun sweetie? Within reason, I'm a bit concerned that you're running into a brick wall. I'm not sure any of my "hutches" are that size but my buns don't live in their hutches, they all have a lot more space. 3 of my 4 buns came from a rescue and the rescue in question knows they're loved and looked after as I am in fairly regular contact with them. PM me xxxx

How much is 6 x 2 x2 in centimetres???
is that the minimum for one rabbit??? what about two??? doesnt depend on the rabbit´s size???

but this is huge!!
Do you mean the people who keep their rabbits indoors and keep then in cages are suppossed to have a cage bigger than two metres if they have to normalsized buns????

Does this mean I'm going to have to add to the problem of overpopulation and buy a rabbit from a pet shop rather than rescue as a companion for Frank? After all, they will only have 40 square feet between them in a 4 feet by 10 dog kennel/run. Don't have a 6 foot by 2 foot hutch, sorry. :?

you have to understand that it is difficult for us to determine who to let adopt rabbits .

lottielouise ... it isnt just that your hutch is only 4 ft long ...it is also the fact that it is only 18 in high and 18 in deep . we do make exceptions ... for eg if it had been in a shed and left open permenantly it would have been fine ....but we have to draw the line somewhere .

if we make a wrong decision we have to live with it ...so we follow rules to try and avoid this .:(

im sure you are a good owner and im sorry we cant help .

Does this mean I'm going to have to add to the problem of overpopulation and buy a rabbit from a pet shop rather than rescue as a companion for Frank? After all, they will only have 40 square feet between them in a 4 feet by 10 dog kennel/run. Don't have a 6 foot by 2 foot hutch, sorry. :?

a kennel / run is a different matter as it has the required hight + more.

Honeybunnies don't ask for any specific size housing...each case is judged individually

and to a certain extent so do we ... but a 4ft x 18 in x 18 in is not suitable to us unless in a shelter / shed and left permenantly open .

in a hutch this size the bed area is usualy too small for even 1 bun lie confortably .

i said 5 ft x 2 ft x 2ft or 6ft x 2 ft x 2 ft because they are the sizes we recomend .
as i have said this isnt set in stone but in this case the set up wasnt suitable for us to rehome to .

i apologise again but to be in line with the new welfare bill you would have to go even bigger than we say .

Last edited:
i apologise again but to be in line with the new welfare bill you would have to go even bigger than we say .

I don't think you should be apologising for setting standards you believe your buns are entitled to. If I am understanding this thread right the rabbit would be locked in a 4ft x 18" x 18" hutch for a certain length of time? If this is the case then I too wouldn't rehome any of mine to live in that size hutch, we are flexible and open to different versions of what is suitable but that would be too small to be shut in even more so if that bun has a friend.

ETA - posted at same time as above :)

louise your links are not working:?

If they have permanent access to a larger area..then we would home two small buns to this..but only with the permanent access to the secure outhouse.

They would also have to have decent shelter from the elements in the run areas..as they may not want to sit in the hutch due to it's size..
I stress..that I agree with Angie ..the hutch..for any time shut in..is much too small..but as a run shelter is fine :D

Have to agree with what Angie, Jill and Chloe are all saying and I too wouldn't rehome to you under those conditions, but correct me if I am wrong, didn't I read somewhere that you had been home checked and passed by a rescue?

no, no home check. Charlie is from my cousin who got bored, and Princess is from a private person on the rabbit rehome, available for adoption section.

Links should work now

Last edited:
no, no home check. Charlie is from my cousin who got bored, and Princess is from a private person on the rabbit rehome, available for adoption section.

Links should work now

Oh right I thought you had been home checked, I would think that the best thing to do is to get a rescue out to give you a home check and some advice if needed, Kayj is quite close to you and I am sure she would be willing to advise you.

To be honest unless the hutch size was increased I can't really see the point
in doing a homecheck at the moment as my views are the same as all the others on here:)

Back