• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonfire night/winter nights

HelB

Warren Scout
What do you all do for bonfire night? I'm gonna bring my 2 in for the night and whilst they are in overnight insulate their hutch ready for when they go back out the next day. Do you think this is the best idea?

Also, i'm wondering what does everyone do to keep their buns warm when they have carpet/lino in their hutches instead of sawshavings/hay? I'm worried about them being too cold at night when it gets frosty.

Ps. Before its suggested i'm not allowed them as house buns yet...still waiting for my own place -fingers cross for after xmas (wooooohooooo) !!!

This is first time I will have outdoor buns over winter. I've got some old thick canvas horse rugs I'm gonna pile over the hutches to hopefully deaden the firework sound & keep the hutches warm. I have carpet as hutch lining too & a litter box in each hutch. The bedroom compartment has newspaper, then carpet, then masses of hay:D

I personally don't do anything different for mine for fireworks. Even my jumpy foster is not bothered by fireworks, and it would unsettle them to bring them in. If you think yours need to br brought in, then that's ok, but remember that fireworks happen on many nights around November 5th and also at many other times of the year so you might have to bring them in for more than one night.

As for winter, why is it you choose not to use things like hay/straw/shavings to keep them warm? My worry is that carpet will get damp and then mouldy.

You can try giving them a snugglesafe or similar to keep them warm throughout the night and it will give them something to snuggle with. Also make sure it is successfully weather proofed against wind, rain, etc, because that will take out a lot of the chill element.

well this is my first halloween with my buns but their all nice and safe in the shed and theres no bonfires near me so hopefully they will be ok, ted will be in the house as she'll not long be spayed.

I might not bring them in now, thinking about it you're right its normally loud most nights around then anyways and all the kids have grown up around us anyways so there might not be anything too bad.

I've used carpet ever since i got both my rabbits and they are very well behaved, they use litter trays and it never gets damp or mouldy. Its really brilliant as all the waste then goes in the green bin (i use catsan wood cat litter). I dont like shavings as you then have to keep cleaning out and making loads of mess and bin bags. I just empty the trays every morning before work and its just so easy and keeps them really clean.

I'm just not sure how to keep them all warm - i'd already thought about those snuggle safes on really cold nights, any other ideas?.

plenty of hay, but they should have started their winter coats and will be able to keep each other warm too. not sure if theres much else you can do.

I use oodles of hay and I have roll down plastics on the front of the hutches and they protects them (I also have roofing felt that goes all around the outside as well as the roof). The water never freezes, so it can't get below freezing level doing that.

I have lino in my hutches but have started to add a layer of newspaper on top as a bit more insulation. I also cover my hutches with an old piece of carpet or blanket and then a tarpaline when it starts getting frosty and just make sure they have plenty to snuggle into in the bedding section.

My buns are already starting to get a nice winter coat and as they are bonded they have each other to snuggle into and keep warm.

If your bun is particularly jumpy on bonfire night you could try covering it with an old duvet which should muffle the sound. Make sure you leave a ventilation gap though!

We recently had a major electrical storm right over the house for an hour, and my buns are only babies...i was petrified for them. But everytime i looked out there they were playing...dont think i have much to worry about over fireworks night!

As for warmth im not sure what to do? They live in a shed convert, which is linoed...they are giants who sleep on hay & straw mix already!

A large cardboard box, which will fit in your hutch, with a rabbit sized hole cut out of one side, and then half filled with hay or straw will make a nice cosy place to cuddle up in. If you add more hay/straw as the nights get colder, the rabbits will make their own little dents in it, and be nice and warm.
Othewise vet bed (usually find a cheap off-cut on ebay) lining a box would be cosier than a bare floor.
I wouldn't suggest sawdust/shavings as they can get embedded into rabbits fur and difficult to get out, and can cause dust breathing problems in some rabbits.
I had a deaf bun once who never batted an eyelid in November, but my four now hate loud bangs and get very scared if fireworks are let off very near to our house, so I bring them in until midnight when it goes quiet.... with no heating on.... we sit in our wooly jumpers!!!

I always bring my lot in on Bonfire night (and New Year), there are so many muppets near me that let fireworks of at the opening of an envelope.

I usualley put them in the hall, which is fairly cool, they are both quite used to coming in the house on the odd occasion, so they don't get upset.

Following Chloe trying to sit on my dads knee when he was drilling and hammering for the new shed (fingers crossed finished on sat!) I have stopped worrying too much about bonfire night. Ill be putting lots of bubble wrap on the roof/windows to keep them warm, lots of hay and I've also bought a snuggle safe for when its really cold :oops:

My bunnies or piggies never bother about bonfire night.Mind you we have fireworks here for weddings,New Year,Birthdays,Ied,Diwali etc.They all totally use to them.

My lot aren't bothered by fireworks. When i first got buns I went out to sit with them in case they got scared in which case they would have come indoors but they have never been upset. Well 6 of mine anyway. I've only had Emrys and Berrie since last january so I don't know yet how they'll react. I must say dogs are more apt to panic though.

Back